Greeting - Hows you?

deslenguada

Castellano
Hello, recently I've realised that many people tend to say "Hows you" I understand that's "How is it going about you?"

• GenJen54

USA - English
    Hi deslenguada,

I've never heard of this in AE. Perhaps its a regional variant, or it only exists in BE or a similar variant of English.

Did you hear this from native speakers?

deslenguada

Castellano
    GenJen54 said:
    Hi deslenguada,

I've never heard of this in AE. Perhaps its a regional variant, or it only exists in BE or a similar variant of English.

Sure, it is BE, yeah I've heard it from British people. ;) I think it is a last trend and I want to know what other think ;) Thanks

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    deslenguada said:
    Hello, recently I've realised that many people tend to say "Hows you" I understand that's "How is it going about you?"
    I think this is a facetious - or jocose - response to the enquiry "How's X?"

Jack: "How's Joe?"
    Joe: "Fine, how's you?"

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    I don't know about "How's you," but "how's by you" is in the American idiom, by way of New York Yiddish. As so often, it reached the popular vocabulary via the comic and musical theater, and then the movies-- early movies anyway, such as the Marx Brothers. It's a little regional now, though, and dated. I'd call it a "Swing-Era" term.

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    foxfirebrand said:
    I don't know about "How's you," but "how's by you" is in the American idiom, by way of New York Yiddish.
    How's about ye? is a very, very Nor'n Iron expression with which I am sure The Great Panjandrum is regularly greeted by his kith and kin.

Paulfromitaly

Italian
    GenJen54 said:
    Hi deslenguada,

I've heard it a lot of times all around UK, but mostly among young people, often teenagers; they say "how is you" instead of "how are you" just because it's easier...In Scotland the first variation would be "how're ye?"

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    maxiogee said:
    How's about ye? is a very, very Nor'n Iron expression with which I am sure The Great Panjandrum is regularly greeted by his kith and kin.
    Well actually, neither my kith nor my kin would dream of saying "'Bout ye."
    But you're right, this is pure Belfast to the extent that we sell mugs mugs with this slogan.

How's you.
    In a world where "How are you," has been devalued to cliché, the expression "How's you," is actually a more sincere enquiry.

Moogey

USA English
    I've heard this before. My grandma would often say "How is you", but she knew that it was incorrect; she did it on purpose.

To me, it's the same as "how are you" but it's just not correct.

-M

A90Six

England - English.
    It is colloquial BE. When spoken, many people will begin such a salutatory enquiry with how's regardless of whether it following noun is singular, plural, or, in the first, second or third person:
    • How's things?
    • How's tricks?
    • How's you?
    • How's the kids?
    • How's your mum's legs?
    • How's your mum and dad getting on?

Moogey

USA English
    A90Six said:
    It is colloquial BE. When spoken, many people will begin such a salutatory enquiry with how's regardless of whether it following noun is singular, plural, or, in the first, second or third person:
    • How's things?
    • How's tricks?
    • How's you?
    • How's the kids?
    • How's your mum's legs?
    • How's your mum and dad getting on?
    Actually, I can imagine all of these being used in AE, except "How's tricks?", which I don't know what means.

-M

A90Six

England - English.
    Moogey said:
    Actually, I can imagine all of these being used in AE, except "How's tricks?", which I don't know what means.

-M
    "How's tricks?" is BE slang meaning, "How are you?"

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    "How's the wife and kids" is heard in the U.S. How're is a little hard to say, I guess, hence "how are you?" This inflection is common, especially if people meet unexpected-- it registers surprise, delight, and shows a real desire to know the answer to an otherwise very overworn greeting.

In my day it had been replaced by "'ziggoin'?" Nowadays, as everyone knows, you hear "s'up" and other variations.

lsp

NY
    US, English
    A90Six said:
    "How's tricks?" is BE slang meaning, "How are you?"
    Also used in AE, maybe not the youngest, hippest thing to say, but not bizarre by any means!

EDIT: "How's your mum's legs?" is a new one, though!

robocass

English / New Zealand
    Fifteen years ago, it was common to say Howzit in New Zealand (meaning hello). I don't know if they still say that, I've not been back for a while!
    Robocass

lsp

NY
    US, English
    panjandrum said:
    How's your Mum's legs is in the same category as How's your Dad's ulcer.
    It is based on prior knowledge of a problem.
    :eek: Wow. Right over my head. And I'm a native English speaker. Thanks, P.

deslenguada

Castellano
    Thanks a lot for all your comments, this thread has been very instructive hehe, so it's just slang and bad grammar! What we people do to our languages! ;)

< Previous | Next >