Greeting to a friend - It's sad stuff / They're sad things ¿? - Any news for me - To have/celebrate ¿? a party - I'm off now...

HyphenSpider

Banned
Spanish, Spain
Can you please check this greeting to a friend?

How are you doing?? Wow, we haven't talked for ages, right? (!) :( I hope you haven't been as busy as me (!) Damn school ¬¬' lol.

I'd like to talk to you some time soon. I have LOADS to tell you !! It's mainly sad stuff but anyway... Do you have any news for me? lol How is it going at the new house? What about school? :p

Well, I think this is already too long for an e-card so I'll just get to the point:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!

I hope you have a great time today (!) Are you having a party or something like that? Oh, and what presents are you gonna get? :p Do you have any hints? lol I would have sent you something but it was yesterday that I remembered about your birthday and by that time it was already too late.

Anyway, I'm off now. I'm meeting a friend of mine in a few minutes.

Have fun (!) I look forward to hearing from you soon (!)

Love,

MyName
Now, the questions :p :

Do you think the sentence in blue would sound better if it read "they're mainly sad things"?

Can you both 'celebrate' and 'have' a party? Or do they mean different things?

Thank you very much,

• Tabac

U. S. - English

Do you think the sentence in blue would sound better if it read "they're mainly sad things"? This is more formal, but there is enough in your letter to indicate that casual is the standard.

Thank you very much,
    One cannot "celebrate a party". One "celebrates" at a party.

very

English/UK

Do you think the sentence in blue would sound better if it read "they're mainly sad things"?

Thank you very much,
    1. "it's mainly sad stuff" sounds better to me.

2. Use 'have' a party, as Tabac has said.

I think your English is excellent and very natural-sounding, congratulations. :thumbsup:

HyphenSpider

Banned
    Spanish, Spain
    One cannot "celebrate a party". One "celebrates" at a party.
    Yes, or "celebrate with a party".
    Yes yes, that's right. I just got confused when I tried to translate the Spanish sentence 'celebrar una fiesta'. I thought I had used 'to celebrate a party' in some of my compositions at school, but I was wrong. What I sometimes use is 'to have a party to celebrate X'. Anyway...

I think your English is excellent and very natural-sounding, congratulations. :thumbsup:

Ok, thank you everyone for your help! Good night!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    You celebrate a birthday by having a party.
    Mainly sad stuff is good.
    I am surprised at how widely stuff can be said and understood when used with care.

I have to point out the excessive use of lol and (!) - but I leave them to your judgement :)

HyphenSpider

Banned
    Spanish, Spain
    I am surprised at how widely stuff can be said and understood when used with care.
    haha ;)

I have to point out the excessive use of lol and (!) - but I leave them to your judgement :)
    (lol) I think you're right. I wrote them too many times, but the text sounded good (to me) when I read it, so I think I'll leave it like that. Besides, I just used 'lol' the same way I'd use 'xD', so... anyway, thanks for letting me know ;) .

< Previous | Next >