Greetings and Compliments

< Previous | Next >

ikemen

US
I was curious as to how to greet and compliment a female. Such as
"Hey, how are you? I wanted to tell you that i think your pretty/beautiful/gorgeous..."
Something to that extent? Any suggestions?

• allegheny

USA, English
    Ikemen-
    Just look at her and slowly say " Ii (eeh) onna". It means attractive woman and is often used when a man sees a pretty woman. The phrase is not vulgar.

ikemen

US
    So just that statement itself, is that stating " you are attractive/beautiful?
    btw thanks for your assistance, i greatly appreciate it. I just wanted to say it properly like a sentence.

allegheny

USA, English
    That statement ("Ii onna") is all that is required. Ii has a vague meaning like many other words. It can mean ok or beautiful or perfect etc. In this context, "beautiful woman" is a good translation. She may ignore you, but you might get a blush or a smile or an invitation to coffee.
    Good luck.

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Ikemen-
    Just look at her and slowly say " Ii (eeh) onna". It means attractive woman and is often used when a man sees a pretty woman. The phrase is not vulgar.
    I am wondering if this a bit too provocative than what the original poster asked for. The word onna is often not exempt from sexual connotation. If you want to use this phrase as a Japanese equivalent of "You are a real cracker," well, provoke away. :D

< Previous | Next >