grew to occupy a 50-acre campus

< Previous | Next >

ironman2012

Chinese
Hi,

In 1978, he founded a predecessor to Renaissance Technologies in a strip mall close to the Stony Brook campus. In 1982, he set up Renaissance, which grew to occupy a 50-acre campus, complete with tennis courts.

(This comes from bendbulletin.com James Simons: seeker, doer, giver, ponderer by WILLIAM J. BROAD on July 12, 2014.)

Does the blue part mean "Renaissance occupy: 1) a 50-acre land of the Stony Brook campus, and 2) tennis courts"?

Thanks in advance!

• heypresto

English - England
    Yes, 'which' refers to Renaissance.

From Wikipedia: "Renaissance engages roughly 150 researchers and computer programmers, half of whom have PhDs in scientific disciplines, at its tranquil 50-acre East Setauket campus in Long Island, New York, which is near the State University of New York at Stony Brook."

My boldening.

ironman2012

Chinese
    Does "campus" here mean "area", that is, "the outside area of a college, university, etc"?
    I thought it means "the grounds and buildings of a university."

kentix

English - U.S.
    Google has a campus. They are a totally private company. I think the word campus has grown to include that use because a business campus resembles a college campus. So a business campus, like a traditional old college campus, includes a set of separated buildings owned by one entity (company/college) on a larger tract of land with landscaping and other nice amenities (like on-site tennis courts). This distinguishes them from the older business model of either having all the people in the business in one building in the downtown business district of the city, or in separate buildings scattered about the city.

In a business campus, everybody who works at that company is easily accessible to everyone else. And the company tries to make the work environment pleasant for all the workers. You can go outside for a nice break when you want to and parking is probably provided, which isn't always true in a downtown office building.

The word campus, even in a business context, tends to be used for companies or parts of companies focused on intellectual work (like colleges are). Manufacturing facilities aren't usually described as a campus.

In the OP, the (business) campus of Renaissance is near the (college) campus of Stony Brook. I'm guessing they are near each other because he originally worked at Stony Brook and so it was very convenient.

< Previous | Next >