Grey/Gray

< Previous | Next >

Alxmrphi

UK English
This might seem like the stupidest question in the world, but which one of these is right?

Google says there are nearly 200 million results for each word, but sometimes I see people write "grey" (I do as well) and other times I see people write "gray".

• mgarizona

US - American English
    This is unscientific of course but I seem to have noticed the 'grey' spelling turning up in AE more often recently ... or maybe that's just me seeing 'Grey's Anatomy' everywhere I look?

fenixpollo

American English
    The British doctor Dr. Henry Gray wrote Gray's Anatomy, the seminal textbook (link).
    There is an American television series called Grey's Anatomy.

Confusedmuch?

I am. My dictionary lists both as equally correct, and Cambridge online calls "gray" the US spelling of "grey".

What about our other Commonwealth cousins? Grey or Gray?

JamesM

I've ended up spelling it both ways over time. As a child, it confused me that "greyhound" (a racing dog and a huge national bus line in the U.S.) was spelled "grey", but we were supposed to spell the color as "gray."

Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    I've ended up spelling it both ways over time. As a child, it confused me that "greyhound" (a racing dog and a huge national bus line in the U.S.) was spelled "grey", but we were supposed to spell the color as "gray."
    Same here...I always wrote it as "grey" until I got confused and started doing it both ways. This problem comes up for me every few weeks or so.

GenJen54

USA - English
    fenixpollo said:
    The British actor Hugh Laurie stars in the American television series Grey's Anatomy House. You're close, he does play a doctor.
    I tend to see it, and even spell it, both ways, depending upon the style needed. If I am writing in AP style, I always use "gray." If I am working on a creative project, I'd probably be more apt to use "grey."

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Ok, so how do people from other English speaking countries spell it?

I assume Canada would spell it like America. What about Australia and NZ?
    (And generally other people who learn English, what way do you spell it?)

I assume if you're from Europe you're more likely to spell it like us Brits, is that true?

cas29

Canada/English
    Alex! you didn't read my post! Canadians spell it Grey.
    Canadian spelling, for the most part follows British rules, not American!

dn88

Polish
    I think "grey" is more common and "gray" is more AE (I don't claim they don't use "grey" in AE). :D

dn88

sarcie

English - Ireland
    As others have said, grey is BE and gray is AE. But as most other BE/AE differences, it does not apply across the board - a lot of AE speakers would write grey.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    All you have to do is look up grey or gray in the WordReference English dictionary
    (See WR Rule #1 :D)
    That's how I found the thread that today's posts have been added to.

< Previous | Next >