Gridiron

lapot

Hello. Can anyone tell me if 'gridiron' is a common word when we are talking about 'American football'?

I think gridiron can refer to the field of play and the play itself too. Am I right? Both are common meanings of this word?

Any American football fan around here? Thanks!!

• Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    I am a huge American football fan. Yes, it does indeed refer to that. I've heard it used in reference to both the field as well as the "play" of the game. However, it is much more common to be used in reference to the actual field.

lapot

Yeah, I think it meaning the play itself is not so common. I think it's much more used in Australia and New Zealand in this way.

Thanks Filsmith!!

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I have never heard it used to refer to anything except the field. It is sometimes used as a metaphor to refer to the game overall. For example, one might refer to an outstanding football player as a "gridiron star," just as one might call an outstanding tennis player a "court star," an outstanding chess player a "chessboard star," and so on. The place where the game is played is used as a metaphor for the game.

< Previous | Next >