grill on charcoal

• Heba

Egypt, Arabic
    Thank you Beryl for your reply.
    I am doubtful about it because I made a frequency test using google and the results I got often used the term charcoal grill as a noun. So, I was not sure if I can use charcoal alone.

GMF1991

English (UK, Suffolk)
    Isn't the verb "to chargrill"? As in the case of "chargrilled chicken"...
    I always thought that you could use "chargrill" as a verb, I may be wrong...

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Yes, of course you can, Heba. :). Charcoal is that black stuff that you set light to when you want to have a barbecue.

ADDED: I've also heard of chargrilling. (Cross-posted)

Copyright

American English
    Unless you're throwing the meat directly on the charcoal and bypassing the grill, I wouldn't say that. Try this:

Bob is grilling meat over charcoal. (Although it's a slightly odd sentence, but the "over charcoal" is correct.)
    Bob is grilling steaks over charcoal.
    Bob is grilling steaks, hamburgers and hotdogs over charcoal.

Copyright

American English
    I wouldn't say "I'm cooking on gas," no. Although "I'm cooking with gas (as opposed to electric)" is fine. And I can't think of a situation where I would say "I'm cooking it on the fire," either. Although I might roast hotdogs over the fire. Roasting hotdogs on the fire -- hmm, not sure really; it's been too long.

Heba

Egypt, Arabic
    Unless you're throwing the meat directly on the charcoal and bypassing the grill, I wouldn't say that. Try this:

Bob is grilling meat over charcoal. (Although it's a slightly odd sentence, but the "over charcoal" is correct.)
    Bob is grilling steaks over charcoal.
    Bob is grilling steaks, hamburgers and hotdogs over charcoal.
    I think I am gonna use ''cooking over charcoal''. I am translating an old text in which the poet is talking about his hunting trip and how he cooks the meat over charcoal.

Thank you copyright for your help.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Heba, does this old text specifically mention charcoal, because it seems strange that someone would take charcoal along with him on a hunting trip.

< Previous | Next >