"grill sandwich"

NickJunior

Khmer
Hi Everyone,

I was driving around town and noticed this sign "Grill Sandwich" displayed on this one restaurant. Immediately, I sensed something was not properly written in English. The place is run/owned by an ethnic family. Shouldn't the new menu item be read "Grilled Sandwiches" instead? Thanks ahead of time for your answer to the question.

• pob14

American English
    Aren't all families ethnic? :confused:

Anyway, strictly speaking you are right, but restaurant signs are not noted for their perfect grammar. They may not have had room on the sign for "Grilled Sandwiches."

NickJunior

Khmer
    Aren't all families ethnic? :confused: Anyway, strictly speaking you are right, but restaurant signs are not noted for their perfect grammar. They may not have had room on the sign for "Grilled Sandwiches."
    Didn't mean to sound negative or anything, but just wanted to provide the "context". It was a big displayed sign. I also see this sign as well, "Beautiful Nail". In my native culture, the English "endings" in words take getting used to since there is no such thing in the native language. I did not ever mean to offend anyone.

london calling

UK English
    I agree with pob. Grilled/toasted sandwiches.

Just one question: which country are we in? If you were to say 'ethnic family' in this context in the UK it could be perceived as an insult, it could well be taken to mean that the family was not white. I assume you mean that the family was foreign?

e2efour

UK English
    i wouldn't expect to see grill sandwich anywhere in the UK.
    This phrase seems to be used in some varieties of English (e.g. in India). So I don't suppose it would be so unusual in a cosmopolitan part of the USA.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it in your part of the world (Cambodia?).

< Previous | Next >