Grin of shame

< Previous | Next >

Dminor

Dutch, the Netherlands
How is this sentence? "I'd recommend adding a blush in order to take away possible misunderstanding of that grin of embarrassment."

It's a joke about a smiley baring a text which has the meaning "disagreeing with Dminor". ;) The smiley has a big grin, of which I'm implying it was "of course" meant for embarrasment in the first place. Help me make it understandable!

• hpesoj

England - English
    It seems fine grammatically. Maybe something like this would be slightly more flowing?

"I'd recommend adding a blush in order to avoid any possible misunderstandings about that grin of embarrassment."

But I'm not too sure that is actually any better. I'm probably just re-wording the phrase pointlessly. Other opinions are appreciated.

Dminor

Dutch, the Netherlands
    How would you describe such a grin a little more detailed, by the way? It should be a translation of the Dutch "schaamtevolle boer-met-kiespijn-grijns", which literally means "shameful grin of a farmer with toothache". "To laugh like a farmer with toothache" is a Dutch saying, meaning "to laugh, but having no fun at all but rather feeling very uncomfortable". Is there some kind of English equivalent?

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I would say "adding a blushing smiley."

I like "to avoid," if that's what you meant.

But if you meant the misunderstanding is already there and you want to remove it by adding a smiley, I would suggest "clear up" or "eliminate."

Overall, Hpesoj's sentence is an improvement.

hpesoj

England - English
    If the smiley already exists (which I think it does) saying "adding a blushing smiley" would imply that the smiley doesn't exist in the first place, which is wrong. I agree that "adding a blush" sounds slightly odd, maybe it would be better to say "I would recommend changing the smiley so that it is blushing"?

I think what you are thinking of is a "cringe". Cringing can be used to describe the act of smiling when something is meant to be amusing but is actually embarrassing. It can also mean to "shrink back" or behave in a submissive manner. I guess that's where it got the former meaning from, because you would shrink back and cover your eyes, etc. if something is embarrassing.

So the new sentence might be:

"I'd recommend changing the smiley so that it is blushing in order to avoid any possible misunderstandings about that cringe."

Or maybe even:

"I'd recommend changing the smiley so that it is blushing in order to avoid anybody misinterpreting that cringe."

< Previous | Next >