grinding thighs

kahroba

Persian
Hi, everyone
One of the definitions of ''grinding'' is ''erotic rotation...''. Please kindly tell me if that definition applies to ''grinding thighs'' in the following phrase, taken from ''1919'' by Dos Passos:
time: 1917
They continued the evening at the promenoire at the Apollo, that was so full of all the petite femmes in the world, they never saw the show. Everything was cockeyed and full of women, the srhill bright main streets with their cafes and cabarets, and the black sweaty tunnels of streets back of the harbor full of rumpled beds and sailors and black skin and brown skin, wriggling bellies, flopping purplewhite breasts, grinding thighs.

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    It's not clear to me, especially given the mention of beds, that the "grinding" took place outside the boudoir. In other words, the author may be describing the actions of lovemaking rather than dancing. Personally, I cannot decide which is the likelier subject, the vertical or the horizontal dancing.

kahroba

Persian
    With this quotation from ''The Camera Eye 33'', you'll note what's it about where Dos Passos tries to illustrate the atrocities of the war and its impacts on life of the women in Europe during that period:
    11000 registered harlots said the Red Cross Publicity Man infest the streets of Marseilles...in the end they were all slot machines undressed as Phocean figurines posted with their legs apart around the scummy edges of the oldest port...

ewie

English English
    It's not clear to me, especially given the mention of beds, that the "grinding" took place outside the boudoir. In other words, the author may be describing the actions of lovemaking rather than dancing. Personally, I cannot decide which is the likelier subject, the vertical or the horizontal dancing.
    Sounds to me like he means the horizontal stuff, though if it's taking place in the alleys themselves it could well be vertical horizontal stuff.

I wonder if Karoba is getting anywhere near the end of 1919?

< Previous | Next >