Gripping the arms of his chair

colourpurple

English- Ireland
Hola, ¡mi primera pregunta! ¿Como se dice 'gripping the arms of the chair' - Se puede decir Al agarrar los brazos de la silla, o mejor, agarrando los brazos de la silla?

Moderator's note
The title has been changed to include the original phrase, not your attempt.
Thank you.
Bevj

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    Welcome to the forum :)
    Please take a moment to read through our forum guidelines, and you will see:

We answer specific questions about Spanish or English words or short phrases that appear in a complete sentence with context and background in a respectful, helpful and cordial manner.

Then please give us the complete sentence which includes the phrase, and explain where you read or heard it, and the situation in which it is used.
    Thank you.

colourpurple

English- Ireland
    Its from a novel and in my case a translation exercise. "Gripping the arms of his chair, he awaited her reply". My attempt <Al agarrar/agarrando los brazos de la silla, esperó la respuesta de ella>. Thank you in anticipation!

ilya

Spanish (Spain), German
    Hello colourpurple

If you say "Al agarrar los brazos..." the following verb should express something that happens because of that action of gripping: Al pisar una piedra, perdió el equilibrio. (This is a general rule).

In your case it's clearly two things that happen at the same time but are not related as cause and effect. So you better use the 'gerundio': Agarrando... But it still might not be the best style: perhaps better you turn it around: "Esperaba la respuesta de ella, agarrando los brazos de la silla". Or better still: "Esperaba la respuesta de ella, agarrado a los brazos de la silla" (if he had gripped the chair a while before).

It is no mistake to provide a 3-5 lines as context, rather than a single sentence. It would be very helpful to understand what was really happening in that novel. You might even add in which century it was written and which historical moment it describes. All this might be important for a good translation.

colourpurple

English- Ireland
    ilya, thank you very much for your helpful reply. You have clarified the issue for me, of when to use <Al + infinitive> . I also note your comments on how to use the forum.

< Previous | Next >