Groan and moan

< Previous | Next >
  • Joobs

Banned
    Glasgow, Scotland - English
    What is the different between groan and moan? Again can someone give me a real life example please?
    They can be used in the similar manner of conveying an expression or sound of pain. However, moan is most often used with a slightly different meaning. i.e. Having a whinge or complaining about something.

"Commuters often moan about the lack of seats on the early morning trains."

WritingAPuppy

canada mandarin
    I see what you are saying...as in I sometimes hear about the phrase "bitch and moan" however I have never heard of "bitch and groan".

So, in the context of making a sound to indicate pain, groan and moan are equivalent and interchangeable, right?

Joobs

Banned
    Glasgow, Scotland - English
    I see what you are saying...as in I sometimes hear about the phrase "bitch and moan" however I have never heard of "bitch and groan".

So, in the context of making a sound to indicate pain, groan and moan are equivalent and interchangeable, right?
    Their meaning in that regard is almost, if not, identical. Groan does have lots of uses though. Such as:

"With each gust of wind the ropes attached to the sails emitted a groan." = A creaking gutteral sound

"Don't tell me you are going golfing again", she groaned. = A somewhat disdainful and disapproving manner.

Just look at a dictionary for the many examples and uses for "groan".

< Previous | Next >