Grocer's apostrophe?

< Previous | Next >

motopaki

English
For plurals, is it ever correct to write:

DVD's or PC's or CD's ?

Motopaki
(and is it grocers' apostrophe or grocer's?)

• mjscott

American English
    DVDs (plural)
    DVD's (posessive)

If you are speaking of many grocers--such as in the United Grocers' Union--write it thus.
    If you are speaking of one grocer, and this part of the store is for the grocer's fruit and produce, then you write it thus.

motopaki

English
    Thanks, guys.

Out of interest, does the phrase 'grocer's apostrophe' exist in North America as a (light-hearted) reference to the misuse of the apostrophe?

It may be unfair, but certainly in the UK, it is an affliction suffered by many in the retail sector.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Thanks, guys.

Out of interest, does the phrase 'grocer's apostrophe' exist in North America as a (light-hearted) reference to the misuse of the apostrophe?

It may be unfair, but certainly in the UK, it is an affliction suffered by many in the retail sector.
    It's an abominable problem here as well but I've never heard the expression "grocer's apostrophe" used to describe it - why "grocer", I wonder?

Kelly B

USA English
    why "grocer", I wonder?
    I think it's because the grocer posts all those signs with the prices of beet's and carrot's (and sausage's) written on them. [Ack. I can hardly stand it.]

I have heard the term in the US, but only rarely.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    I think it's because the grocer posts all those signs with the prices of beet's and carrot's (and sausage's) written on them. [Ack. I can hardly stand it.]

I have heard the term in the US, but only rarely.
    Ah, well, it seems to be an equal opportunity problem here!:) I actually wrote a letter to a (large) chain restaurant (American-based) because they had 2' x 2' glossy posters up on the walls for a promotion which said "Kids meals free!" (the lack of an apostrophe is just as bad in my books) and I pointed out that for the money they spent on those erroneous posters all over the North American continent, they couldn't afford to give children free meals but should hire proof-readers instead! Needless to say, they didn't respond...:D

motopaki

English
    Apologies' panjandrum, I mentioned the UK. Assume its still a problem up your way?

Later - sorry, my geography/terminology is up the spout this morning, it's too early.

motopaki

English
    Interestingly, I've got a Dutch friend who litter's her website with random apostrophes', and I've been told the possesive form doesn't exist in the Dutch language. Anyone know?

< Previous | Next >