"Groom" (for door) in French - English word

James Brandon

Senior Member
English + French - UK
"Un groom" is used in French to refer to the articulated arm that automatically closes a door behind you, without the person having to do anything. Usually, such a mechanical device is made of metal. "A groom" does not sound right at all in English for this. Can you think of any more appropriate terms in English? Retractable arm, maybe.

When the tension in the arm in question is not right, of course, the door does not shut properly and remains ajar, as we experience daily - they appear to be the kind of piece of equipment that it is very difficult to get to function properly.

  • Kelly B

    Senior Member
    USA English
    Yes, "closer" is what I'd call it, too. ("pneumatic closer," for those cylindrical ones that hiss shut.)


    New Member
    english, USA
    i've never heard anyone name the thing that closes the door, but doors such as those are known as automatic doors.

    James Brandon

    Senior Member
    English + French - UK
    Yes, I believe the point made by Kelly is valid - and we are indeed talking about the articulated and retractable arm that shuts a door automatically. It is a mechanical device that is called "a groom" in French.

    The earlier Post explained - very well - the origin of the term, i.e. a company that started making those devices and was called (or called the products) Groom - presumably a reference to the fact that the device does what a (human) groom does for you (if there is no device to do it!).

    Such doors are very common in office buildings, in Europe at any rate. Fire doors are kept shut, this way, and all manner of doors separating one section of a building (or a corridor) from another, for both safety and security purposes.

    We are not talking about automatic doors in the sense of sliding doors, etc. A door-closer is the device shutting a door which, apart from that, has nothing "automatic" about it...
    < Previous | Next >