groom vs. stableman

ktm

Can anyone explain to me the difference beetween groom and stableman?
Is it possible to use this words interchangeably?
The problem is how I should translate "stableman" used in the citation below.

<< Moderator removed Polish vocabulary. We can only consider English usage, and not comparisons to other languages >>

----
How, after the last of the August rains, his old housekeeper Marianma would take the children, including his sister Olga, into the woods and lay a thick rug across the grass, never more than a dozen yards from the troika, in the middle of which sat Fyodor, the household stableman.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Alisterio

UK English
    The Merriam-Webster dictionary lists "stableman" under the entry for "stable", but unfortunately it doesn't give a definition. I would agree with Franzi that "groom" is the more usual way to say it. I would imagine that the distinction - if any - is very subtle between the two terms.

gasman

Canada, English
    Perhaps there is a slight difference. A groom is usually the person looking after a selected horse or horses, whereas a stableman does general duties in the stable, which might include grooming horses.

ewie

English English
    It sounds to me (another non-expert on the subject) that a stableman is responsible for keeping stables clean, a groom for keeping horses clean.

< Previous | Next >