grooming - a bit dated?

wanabee

Japanese
Dear all,

Before you go to school or work in the morning, you brush your teeth, do your makeup, fix your hair, and so on.
I think the term "grooming" refers to this kind of actions, and I'd like to know if the term is a bit dated or not.

I would appreciate any comments.

• Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    I would never use the word 'grooming' for this. To me it conjures up a picture of my cat painstakingly licking itself.

stormwreath

English - England
    I'd say it's old-fashioned when used in that sense, yes. To me, the word 'grooming' can mean either:
    a) Something cats or apes do to each other.
    b) The process by which a paedophile gets close to his intended victim.

Given meaning (b), I certainly wouldn't want to use the expression to describe a person's morning routine. I think we'd probably just say something like "getting ready" - "He was getting ready in the morning", "she was getting ready for work".

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I'd say it's old-fashioned when used in that sense, yes. To me, the word 'grooming' can mean either:
    a) Something cats or apes do to each other.
    b) The process by which a paedophile gets close to his intended victim.

Given meaning (b), I certainly wouldn't want to use the expression to describe a person's morning routine. I think we'd probably just say something like "getting ready" - "He was getting ready in the morning", "she was getting ready for work".
    I suppose "making his toilet" is right out, then....

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The first definition in the dictionary is the one you are asking about. I agree that that usage is not too common these days. I agree with the notion that "getting ready in the morning" would cover this activity and there may not be a single word to cover it. Bevj is reminded of the second meaning, and shies away from it as a result, but the paedophile meaning mentioned seems to be a particularly narrowly specialized form of meaning 3 below.
    • to make or keep (clothes, appearance, etc) clean and tidy
    • to rub down, clean, and smarten (a horse, dog, etc)
    • to train or prepare for a particular task, occupation, etc: to groom someone for the Presidency

sdgraham

USA English
    Whereas the above seems spot-on with respect to currency, "well-groomed" receives over 12 million hits on Google and I regard it as current.

As a side note, I hope the "you" in the OP does not apply to me because I don't go to school or work anymore and I absolutely do not apply makeup. :D

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I'm more likely to use the term to describe somebody - who can be well groomed. Or perhaps ironically when someone is carefully arranging their hair or make-up (ah, he's grooming himself again!​)

Cross-posted with sdgraham. On the same lines, I see.

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    I think the explanation is that you do not groom yourself (at least in modern usage).
    Somebody can have a well-groomed appearance.
    You can be groomed for a certain job or position.
    However it only seems to be cats and the like who groom themselves.
    This would account for the millions of hits on Google for 'well-groomed'.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think it's possible to have a "daily grooming routine", but I wouldn't use it myself. It's the kind of thing you see in magazines, and can refer to the use of a multitude of beauty products in addition to the basics. In fact that's why I wouldn't use it; I stick to the basics.

< Previous | Next >