groove / form

< Previous | Next >

Raffaelle

français
Hello,
I would like to listen to your suggestions to translate and explain the difference between ' groove ' and 'form'.
The context first: it is a race. This is the second day of racing and we talk about one of the teams

the sentence is: "They found their groove after struggling to find their usual form".

my (terrible) suggestion: "L'équipe réussit a trouver son rythme en l'absence de sa forme habituelle"

thank you

• petit1

français - France
    groove 1. An adjective describing a rhythmic quality of music that is emotionally communicative and soulful; used for music moving at a steady beat

Ils ont réussi à trouver le bon rythme après avoir eu du mal à retrouver leur forme habituelle.

Kelly B

USA English
    I think rythme makes sense here, though I'm not French. See this thread for a discussion of form: form (in sports)
    (I'll also note that I think after struggling should be after having struggled in the English, but further discussion of that point would be out of place in a thread about to find one's groove.)

Raffaelle

français
    thank you both.
    I find this sentence pretty weird, I would have rather 'struggled' to find the 'groove', in the absence of the 'usual form', also if I'm able to 'find the groove', it means that I'm on form...!
    anyway thank you very much for you help!

Psychae

English - UK
    Well just to make sure it's clear, it's saying that "At first they struggled to find their usual form, but then they found their groove".

Note: And just to say, "after struggling" actually sounds a little better and less formal to me than "after having struggled". Kelly B may have been referring to its grammatical correctness though, in which case she's probably right!

Last edited:

Raffaelle

français
    You know, 'usual form' is something you have/feel..or not, sometimes, you feel on form, and other days, you don't, so in theory, it's no use to 'struggle' for that, don't you think?

So, could 'find their usual form' be the "synonym" of "meet their performance standards"?

Raffaelle

français
    Well just to make sure it's clear, it's saying that "At first they struggled to find their usual form, but then they found their groove".

Note: And just to say, "after struggling" actually sounds a little better and less formal to me than "after having struggled". Kelly B may have been referring to its grammatical correctness though, in which case she's probably right.
    yes, thank you :)

< Previous | Next >