Grope?

< Previous | Next >

sambistapt

Brazilian Portuguese
Hello amigos!

How many girls did you grope at the party?

What does it mean? I´d never seen this verb used in this context, Would it be the same as: making out, snogging or petting?

Thanks in advance,

Sam:cool:

• El escoces

English - UK
    Now that we've broken the ice, I'd say it always has the idea of a "handful" to me...(it's definitely something different from a pinch - I wonder if anyone pinches bums now?)

tuco87

English-USA and Spanish-Mexico
    When you "grope" somebody, you touch them inappropriately in places that are not supposed to be touched without their consent. I'm pretty sure you can imagine what I'm talking about. Usually "groping" lasts much longer than just a simple touch. Like at a party, when a guy gropes a girl on say, her breast. It's done intentionally and with a somewhat sexual intention. Also, "grope" has a certain negative connotation and like I said its sexually inclined. Hope that helps! :)

gasman

Canada, English
    Of course one can always grope one's way through a pea-soup fog without upsetting anyone, unless you bump into them.

tuco87

English-USA and Spanish-Mexico
    I'm curious, tuco, how you do something with a somewhat sexual intention (well I'm intrigued, actually). Could you elaborate?
    I should have meant sexual intention, not just "somewhat." It just seems to me that the word "grope" has a negative connotation. I've honestly never heard it be used any other way. Unless any of you use it in any other way that I'm unaware of.

Forero

To me, the "normal" meaning of groping is feeling around where one cannot see, such as groping for the keys that fell behind the washing machine. The sexual meaning is probably derived from this, but I have never known precisely what it means except for its inappropriateness.

zhonglin

Mandarin
    I've done research on this word and found the below definition. If that is the case, can we use it for blinds? Such as "the blind man is trying to grope for his stick".. how about this..."I cannot grope for my glasses, can you please turn on the light"

• (intransitive) usually followed by for: to feel or search about uncertainly (for something) with the hands.

Please advise, thank you.

Forero

I've done research on this word and found the below definition. If that is the case, can we use it for blinds? Such as "the blind man is trying to grope for his stick".. how about this..."I cannot grope for my glasses, can you please turn on the light"

• (intransitive) usually followed by for: to feel or search about uncertainly (for something) with the hands.

Please advise, thank you.
    To grope is not to find but to feel or search uncertainly, so "the blind man is groping for his cane" makes sense, but not "the blind man is trying to grope for his cane."

And "I do not want to grope for my glasses. Can you please turn on the light?" makes sense, but not "I cannot grope for my glasses, can you please turn on the light."

< Previous | Next >