ground as the surface of a roof or a floor

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
Do you think the first 'ground' is the surface of the roof they were on? After they went to the roof, there isn't a mention of them going down to the bottom of the building. Obviously the second 'ground' is the surface of the earth.

"There's no way out, Tripp," Tina said as they reached the roof. ... He (=Tripp) reached for an old tarp lying on the ground and belted it to himself and Tina. ... They each held two sides of the tarp, using it as a parachute. ... Tripp and Tina sailed to the ground safely. ('Dadnapped' adapted by Sarah Nathan, based on 'Dadnapped' by Alan Silberberg)

• Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I suppose the first "ground" does refer to the roof surface, unless they have some kind of device to grab hold of and lift something lying on the surface of the earth. It is ambiguous.

HSS

I suppose the first "ground" does refer to the roof surface, unless they have some kind of device to grab hold of and lift something lying on the surface of the earth. It is ambiguous.
    Hi, Nunty:). Thanks. Is it normal to refer to a roof surface as the ground?

HSS

Okay. So you may say 'the ground' to mean 'the surface you are on' in conversation. Okay, thanks for your help.

Hiro

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    It seems to me that they are standing on a flat roof and therefore 'ground' makes sense as the surface they are standing on.

< Previous | Next >