grounded in the most admirable of traits

< Previous | Next >

Basic24

Chinese
Hi,

Here is a text related to computer technology. I want to ask a question about this text.

Popular accounts of these events often boil Gates and Kildall down to caricatures, the maniacally driven East Coast businessman versus the laid-back California hippie. <-----Excess quote and additional question removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->When a bigger fish like IBM came calling, he was perfectly willing to humble himself, even to the point obsequiousness, as long as he needed them as a stepping stone to the next level. (Once he didn't need them anymore, of course, all bets were off.) It may not have been grounded in the most admirable of traits, but Gates' ambition made Microsoft beloved by many of its partners.

What does the "grounded" in the sentence in red mean? Does it mean that Gates' ambition is not based on the most admirable of traits?

I would be grateful if someone could help me. Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • dojibear

English - Northeast US
    What does the "grounded" in the sentence in red mean? Does it mean that Gates' ambition is not based on the most admirable of traits?
    Yes. But that is a strange thing to say. What "not admirable trait"? Ambition. So his ambition was based on his ambition.

I think the author's meaning is "ambition is not an admirable trait, but ambition made Microsoft beloved."

Basic24

Chinese
    Yes. But that is a strange thing to say. What "not admirable trait"? Ambition. So his ambition was based on his ambition.

I think the author's meaning is "ambition is not an admirable trait, but ambition made Microsoft beloved."
    Thank you! I think you are right.

< Previous | Next >