group for Yahoo, MSN messagers, etc = pool?

< Previous | Next >

Daffodil100

Chinese
If I create a group on my MSN, Yahoo messagers, etc. where many people can talk among them, is the group called "pool"?

Thank you!

• Matching Mole

England, English
    I have never heard such a group called a pool, and I would not do so myself. A pool, in respect to people (and other things, such as cars or other resources) generally means a group whose members may be drawn, at need, to do some task, and who are not assigned to a permanent user or employer: a car pool, a secretarial pool.

It also has various senses, in respect to groups of people, in certain games, sports or in gambling, but I don't think you can easily extend these meanings outside of their contexts.

Daffodil100

Chinese
    I have never heard such a group called a pool, and I would not do so myself. A pool, in respect to people (and other things, such as cars or other resources) generally means a group whose members may be drawn, at need, to do some task, and who are not assigned to a permanent user or employer: a car pool, a secretarial pool.

It also has various senses, in respect to groups of people, in certain games, sports or in gambling, but I don't think you can easily extend these meanings outside of their contexts.
    Thank you, Matching Mole.

< Previous | Next >