Grow at my own speed

stevengu

Danish - Denmark
I'm writing the acknowledgments-section of my thesis and want to thank my academic advisor for his patience and support, and for allowing me to "grow at my own speed". I'm looking for a concise way to word the part in quotes.

What I'm trying to say is that he did not push me or try to mold me into something that he wanted me to be, but rather gave me time and space to find and understand my own strengths, and become a good researcher.

Last edited:
  • Glenfarclas

English (American)
    "He did not push me or try to mold me into something that he wanted me to be, but rather gave me time and space to find and understand my own strengths, and become a good researcher."​

You've already compressed the idea of these 37 words down to just five:

"grow at my own speed."
    How much more "concise" can this concept possibly be made?

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Well, it's metaphorical, and unless the context makes it clear it could be ambiguous as to what sort of growth you're talking about, but yes.

stevengu

Danish - Denmark
    Thank you. I also received another suggestion, "progress at my own pace", which I think is pretty good and perhaps more clear.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    "Progress at your own pace" sounds like you are talking about the speed with which you researched and wrote the thesis. "Grow at your own speed" would be more about your personal growth as a scholar.

< Previous | Next >