grow its way out of

onurkutlualp

Turkish
Hello dear friends,
I saw similiar topics with this subject on the forum, but i coudn't understant well.

in above sentece;
grow its way --> enlarge, prosper
out of this debt --> I couldn't understand this part, "out of" means because of or "with the help of"? In this sentence "debt" is something good to help the country to be export powerhouse, or something bad but in the end it will make the country export powerhouse?

"The idea was the country could just grow its way out of this debt by becoming an export powerhouse which on the surface wasn't the worst idea ever"

Many thanks

• The Newt

English - US
    The idea is that it could pay off its debt by means of sufficient economic growth. "Debt" in this context is regarded as a bad thing, a burden that needs to be removed, which could be done (so the thinking was) if the country's economy grew quickly enough.

onurkutlualp

Turkish
    The idea is that it could pay off its debt by means of sufficient economic growth. "Debt" in this context is regarded as a bad thing, a burden that needs to be removed, which could be done (so the thinking was) if the country's economy grew quickly enough.
    Thanks for your answer,

""The idea was the country could just grow its way out of prosperity by finding petroluem reserves"
    This sentence is correct? Because now ofter "out of" there is something positive.

The Newt

English - US
    Thanks for your answer,

""The idea was the country could just grow its way out of prosperity by finding petroluem reserves"
    This sentence is correct? Because now ofter "out of" there is something positive.
    No, that sentence is incorrect. You don't want to "get out of" or "grow out of" prosperity.

This use of "grow out of" has little or nothing to do with the idiom "to grow out of [a piece of clothing etc.]."