Grow unaccustomed: [more direct options]

< Previous | Next >
Hello everyone,

I've read all the posts here on the subject and learned that "grow unaccustomed" is a natural option, but some experts say that it's better to use more direct/clear options than grow unaccustomed. My question: Are my options appropriate direct replacements for "grow unaccustomed"? If not, what could you suggest?

a. I've grown unaccustomed to running like this after all these years.

More Direct replacement: I've lost the habit of running like this after all these years.

b. You grow unaccustomed to the temperature in time.

More Direct replacement: You lose the habit of the temperature in time.

Meaning intended: you forget what it is like, you are no longer used to

Thank you in advance!

• Codyfied

Is "grow unaccustomed to" a natural option? Yes, grow generally means a direction of increase in something, such as "I have a grown fondness" or "I grow weak with hunger", but I've not heard "to grow unaccustomed to". And maybe that is just me. Other may have heard such. I've heard "grow accustomed" to something, as in the popular song in the musical, My Fair Lady: "I"ve grown accustomed to her face. She almost makes the day begin."

But I've not heard it in your form to mean diminishing. Since you compliment the first sentence with "after all these years" and the second sentence with "in time", simply "unaccustomed" works on it's own with the addition of "to be".
    I am unaccustomed to running......(not used to anymore)
    You become unaccustomed to this temperature.....(not acclimated anymore/ can't tolerate anymore)

To answer your question: A habit is thought of as a repeated action learned over time so the first example you could substitute "lost the habit" and it would work. In the second, you mean "no more acclimated" and there is no repeated action that you initially took, to have lost in time. So perhaps best to find another phrasing, such as :
    You lose the ability to tolerate / You no longer are acclimated to/ You become unaccustomed to

Myridon

English - US
    "Gain the habit" is a poor replacement for "grow accustomed" so "lose the habit" is a poor replacement for "grow unaccustomed."
    I had grown accustomed to the heat of the tropics. I was used to the heat, but after a long time in the Arctic, I am unused to it.

Codyfied

Yes I would agree. "Lost the habit of running" is a poor replacement. It would be understood in an informal conversation, but not the best phrase to use. I wasn't accounting for best or worse of useable phrases, so my apologies if any confusion.

Running is not such a gained habit, but more of a build of endurance. Would you say "Lost my endurance to run like this" would be a level up for a replacement? Perhaps. But simply "lost my endurance" and others work best. It's just a learned process of which works best in the context.

At the same time, I could easily say "As Ive aged, I've lost the habit of eating like a pig at each meal. I just don't eat much these days." That's to mean, I've lost the need to eat like that, which of course may be even better to say. It's the action that is controlling which word is more suited. It just sounds odd to say only "lost the habit" when one commonly uses in English, "not in the habit of", even though it's a longer phrase than the word "lost", sorry. :) So, "I'm not in the habit of running like this" will work as well.

Though I think someone would understand you if you used "lost the habit of running" as it's a repeated action you did over and over again, I would agree with Myridon, you're talking about building endurance more than having built a habit and so "lost the habit of running" would nonetheless be a poor replacement. other phrases as suggested should be looked for to be more suitable.

Last edited:

Codyfied

Thank you all for your answers.

I really didn't know that "unaccustomed to'' could mean "not used to anymore''. That really solves the problem.
    Since you followed "unaccustomed to" with "after all these years" as you did, then in that context, you indicated that you were used to it (experienced with it) some time before and thus were accustomed to it in the past but not now-- yes.

A good cover of that definition:
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language
    ac·cus·tomed adj.1. Frequently practiced, used, or experienced; customary: answered with his accustomed modesty. See Synonyms at usual.

2. Being in the habit of: I am accustomed to sleeping late.
    3. Having been adapted to the existing environment and conditions: eyes not accustomed to desert sun.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >