Grown-up clothes

clk0522

English - Canadian
When I was a child (10yrs), my aunt would give me her daughter's (15yrs) hand-me-downs. They were expensive and very grown-up clothes.

How do I say, grown-up clothes (from a child's perspective)?

thank you

Moderator note: thread split to create this one

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Michelvar

quasimodo
    French from France
    Hi,

is there more context, allowing us to understand why "grown-up"? Was it about the look, or because the child would no feel able to play as usual in those clothes, or... ?

clk0522

English - Canadian
    The context is a letter that I'm writing to someone, telling them about a box I received when I was a child of 10. This box contained very expensive, beautiful and fancy hand-me-down clothes. I would like to say, from this 10 yr-old child's point of view, "Oh my gosh, those are grown-up clothes! Clothes that real adults wear! I can't wait to be a grown-up to wear them!".

I looked up grown-up in word reference but I just find adulte. Les vêtements adultes doesn't give it the connotation I'm looking for. I'm hoping I can find another word to use that would portray the sense of innocence, excitement and awe of the speaker (the child).

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    I would also say "des vêtements de grands".
    Personally, I have never used "habits", always "vêtements" (two syllables for me). As a result, it was strange to me when my husband, who's the same age as me but who's from the South of France, used it, as it sounds quite formal (and maybe a bit dated) to me. Might be a regional thing.

< Previous | Next >