Grupo electrogeno

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Nane BA, Mar 23, 2007.

  1. Nane BA Senior Member

    Spanish English (Argentina)
    Hi everyone!
    Can anyone help me translate "grupo electrogeno" into English?
    In case you don't know, it's a sort of machine that provides electricity for a short while in case of a power failure.

  2. briandemiami Member

    Miami, FL
    US, English
    its called a generator. (power generator)
  3. malidiera Senior Member

    Spanish - Spain

    I have been looking at all the threads with "grupo electrogeno" in, but i still dont feel satisfied...
    Maybe I´m wrong and there is not a specific word in english, but I would not use generator (generador in spanish) because that is too general, we are referring to some particular generators that are installed in industries, etc. so that if there is a power failure, the electricity supply will not be interrupted.

    someone please help ;) !
  4. Grey Fox

    Grey Fox Senior Member

    Argentine Patagonia
    UK - English
    Do believe us when we assure you that "generator" is the correct term in English! It may be accompanied by whatever descriptive term best suits the situation:

    portable (electric/power) generator
    temporary (electric/power) generator
    and so-on... Try Googling these and look at the images, and you'll be convinced, I assure you! :)
  5. SydLexia Senior Member

    London, EU
    UK English
    I think the word you need is "back-up": "back-up/backup generators" or "back-up power supplies". depending on whether they actually generate electricity, or just supply it for some time.

  6. Grey Fox

    Grey Fox Senior Member

    Argentine Patagonia
    UK - English
    Yes, that's good too!

    If you're not a native English-speaker it's perhaps hard to get one's head around the fact that "generator" seems such a general sort of term and yet in context it's perfectly understood and indeed correct, despite covering everything from really large-scale ones to fancy little portable ones for DIY jobs - the wonders of technology and consumerism ;)
  7. minina23 New Member

    how about diesel generator? Ya que este es un generador que usa combustion interna.
  8. Loli

    Loli Senior Member

    I have seen this in English as the source language as Genset - or Generating Set, and eventually, as Power Units.
    Cheers! :)
  9. spidey1

    spidey1 Member

    "Grupo electrogeno" is translated as "generating set".
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015

Share This Page