guerilla gardening

< Previous | Next >

Andrew1980

Hi, I am reading article on BBC Guide to Toronto travel http://www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20120413-mini-guide-to-toronto-canada and encountered such an expression as: guerilla gardening spaces. Does it mean that these are amateur gardens (i.e. gardens developed by free artists rather than professional agencies).

Context:

A 10-acre cultural complex on the redeveloped waterfront, theHarbourfront Centre includes an alfresco concert stage and guerilla gardening spaces. Its Power Plant gallery displays contemporary Canadian art (231 Queen’s Quay West; gallery admission £4).

Thank you

• Copyright

American English
    It sounds like someone is attempting to pacify the guerrilla-gardening force with designated plots -- how counter-revolutionary. :)

Guerrilla gardeners are people who plant on neglected or unused or unsightly plots of public land in order to bring a little beauty to public areas. They do it without permission and without being shown to a prescribed plot. Instead of picking up trash, they plant things for everyone's enjoyment.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Context:

A 10-acre cultural complex on the redeveloped waterfront, theHarbourfront Centre includes an alfresco concert stage and guerilla gardening spaces. Its Power Plant gallery displays contemporary Canadian art (231 Queen’s Quay West; gallery admission £4).
    I think the text is being very generous with the term "guerilla gardening". I understand it to be a bit more "off the grid", in other words, if the spaces are provided, it's not "guerilla gardening". :)

< Previous | Next >