guitar sting

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
I checked with dictionaries but couldn't figure it out .... What does 'guitar sting' mean? I imagine it would be a very short strike of sounds on a guitar. Am I correct?

Just to give you a little example of how patient people used to be, did you know that the opening credit sequence to Mister Ed back in the early sixties was a solid minute long? ... People had no choice but to sit through the whole thing, and they loved it. ... Now the opening theme song to a TV show is a guitar sting. ("'Social Skills' in 'Seriously ... I'm Kidding'" by Ellen DeGeneres)

• DocPenfro

English - British
    With a bit of googling, I located "chainsaw guitar sting" which consists of about two bars of electric guitar: not melodic, but just memorable enough to act as a recognisable signature for a show. Possibly, roughly the same as a "riff"?

JamesM

In music, a sting is short bit of musical punctuation, often at the end of a piece of music. John Philip Sousa was famous for putting stings at the end of his marches.

A riff would usually be longer than a sting. The famous "Law and Order" bomp-bomp sound is a good example of a sting.

(For those who haven't heard the "Law and Order" sound, it can be found in this Wikipedia article.)

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Hm. I think of a "guitar sting" as being even shorter than JamesM's "bomp-bomp." I would think it's just the chord being struck, and then reverberating until it fades away, like "WHAOoooowwwwwwwwww."

But yeah, the general point is "a short bit of musical punctuation." We'll just have to puzzle out how short "short" is in this context.

< Previous | Next >