Gujarati: યુનુસ દાઉદ લીમ્બાડા તરફથી ફરઝદ ખદીજાબીબી ને હદીયો નાનીનરોલી ૧૯.૨.૦૪

jason85

England: English
Hi.

I've been following this website for some time now and I'd just like to thank everybody first of all for making it what it is - it's so interesting! I'm glad to be a part of it now :)

So, first post!

I just moved house and kind of went "exploring" lol, and I found this lid to a metal pot in our basement and found this writing on it. It just kind of intrigued me and was wondering what it says on it. I wonder if anyone could guide me to the right direction. It looks like some eastern language...

Note: The writing went halfway round the lid so it would've been difficult to take just one picture of it. So what I did was, I took three pictures (close-up) and have labelled them Pic1,2 & 3 - so you know which order the writing goes.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Attachments

• Pivra

Looks like a South Indian or a South East Asian language to me.... maybe Tamil. But Im not sure, it might be a Greek written very fast.

ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    In all probability not Greek. Couldn't recognise anything and some of the squiggles looks nothing like any Greek "handwriting" I've ever seen

Pivra

In all probability not Greek. Couldn't recognise anything and some of the squiggles looks nothing like any Greek "handwriting" I've ever seen
    Oh lol, haha my bad.

I recognize an Indic M...in the third picture. (or maybe its a Devanagari Bh... or a Sh)
    The last line of the third picture has some very Thai looking alphabets. The first 2 alphabets look like... "หา"(haa) in Thai. The first alphabet of the first line in the third picture looks like a ด then an เ then a ต then another ด then an ม then an ไ then a ต again.. but it would make no sense if its in Thai.

panjabigator

Am. English
    It is definitely either Devanagri (the script used to write Hindi, Marathi, Sanskrit, or Nepali) or Gujarati. The obvious difference between the two scipts is that their is a line at top, but many times people dont write the line in Hindi.

Linguist can say for sure.

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Arey! Aa to maari maatri bhaashaa Che! :D

Yep, it's Gujarati (C'mon Who - You should've known this!)
    Hehe I'm joking, it is very scripty writing - I could just about make it out myself!

It says:

યુનુસ દાઉદ લીમ્બાડા તરફથી ફરઝદ ખદીજાબીબી ને હદીયો નાનીનરોલી ૧૯.૨.૦૪

Transcription:
    Yunus Dawood Limbada tarafthi farzad khadijabibi ne hadyo naninroli 19.2.04

Translation:
    "From Yunus Dawood Limbada. Gift for Farzad Khadija Bibi. Naninroli. 19.2.04"

The surname "Limbada" is a relatively common Surti one (Surti = from Surat in Gujarat), so these guys must have been Surti. In Gujarati, people sometimes put "bibi" at the end of a name as a type of endearment to someone younger I think (or someone who's one generation younger) So Yunus must have given this metal pot to Farzad Khadija and he must be her uncle or something. (That's just a guess though). This is quite common amongst Gujaratis - metal pots and pans is supposed to be "a nice gift" and people used to give them as gifts when people got married. I don't think it happens often now though. (We've actually got a few at home too from when my parents got married! :D).

Naninroli is a village near Surat (I just had to ask my mother that - I knew it was a place name since that's what these pots and pans usually have on them - but my mum just confirmed it's a place in Gujarat near Surat) so voilà.

Jason - maybe it would've helped if you told us a little bit about the people who used to live there before? That might have helped us more. hehe something for next time ;):)

Hope this helps :)

jason85

England: English
    Wow! Thanks for such a thorough explanation! Very much appreciated :):)

At-least now we've discovered which language it was!

< Previous | Next >