Gujarati: Good luck

• mukhs

English
    Hi,
    Not sure if you can read in Gujarati (which is a must if you want to learn properly ) but it's this:

સારા નસીબ
    (saaraa nasseeb)

littlepond

Hindi
    Hi,
    Not sure if you can read in Gujarati (which is a must if you want to learn properly ) but it's this:

સારા નસીબ
    (saaraa nasseeb)

Not really, especially not if the OP means in the sense of wishing someone good luck: in that case, even the syntax is wrong, for "saaraa" would have to be declined to "saaro."
    In any case, this is not a thing one would say when someone wishes one "good luck."

There's also the more common શુભ લાભ

Again, a bad suggestion, unless the OP means the kind of phrases on Diwali posters, asking for auspicious profits. I doubt the OP is asking for that.

Now, if the OP means "good luck" in the sense of wishing someone luck (e.g., wishing a friend "good luck" when he/she is going to an exam), the most suitable would be "(maarii) shubhkaamnaao" or the English "best of luck" (note that the Gujarati "e" in "best" has a different pronunciation).

• Thank you!
    Reactions: Dib

mukhs

English
    Good to know! Didn't know the word કામના. Found this post though (would like to have your thoughts):

Gujarati: Was nice to see you again, good luck on your next lesson

"તને પાછું જોઇને ખુશી થઈ, તારું આવતું લેસન માટે ખૂશ નસીબી."

For સારા નસીબ you're definitely right it would be declined. But to the neuter, not masculine, no? સારું નાસીબ not સારો નસીબ.

નસીબ - Gujarati to English meaning and translation - Gujaratilexicon

Last edited:

littlepond

Hindi
    "તને પાછું જોઇને ખુશી થઈ, તારું આવતું લેસન માટે ખૂશ નસીબી."

Yes, ખૂશ નસીબી is a good suggestion!

For સારા નસીબ you're definitely right it would be declined. But to the neuter, not masculine, no? સારું નાસીબ not સારો નસીબ.

નસીબ - Gujarati to English meaning and translation - Gujaratilexicon

Probably. I think both સારું નાસીબ and સારો નસીબ could work, but I am not sure. My Gujarati is not impeccable.

Dib

Bengali (India)
    As far as I could find in the dictionaries and the usage examples in the relevant hits on the first 3 pages of a google search on નસીબ all agree that it is a neuter noun. So, yes, "સારું નસીબ" it is, rathe than "સારો નસીબ", which would imply masculine.