Gujarati: I love you, brother.

Doe Johnson

American English
Hey! I'm giving a present to a friend of mine that I've been going through a rough patch with, and I'd like to add a line in his native Gujarati to the end of the note. I don't know any Gujarati, so I can't make any real efforts at translating by myself.

Line to translate:
I love you, brother. Thanks for being in my life.

It doesn't have to be a literal translation if it sounds weird. I don't want it to sound too formal. I'd rather it convey a sense of love and closeness. In case it affects the grammar/word choice, I am a female and he is about 3 years younger than me. We're in our 20s. Please include the Gujarati script, pronunciation, and translation if you reword it.

Thank you!

• Maharaj

Bundeli, Hindi, Urdu, Marathi
    હૂં તને પ્રેમ કરું છું ભાઈ
    તું મારા માટે ખૂબજ વિશેષ છે

Hoom tane prem karum chhoon, bhai.
    Tu mara mate khoob ja vishesh chhe.

Last edited:

Doe Johnson

American English
    હૂં તને પ્રેમ કરું છું ભાઈ
    તું મારા માટે ખૂબજ વિશેષ છે

Hoom tane prem karum chhoon, bhai.
    Tu mara mate khoob ja vishesh chhe.
    Thank you so much for helping me translate!

Is the last half of your translation fairly literal, or did you change it a bit? When I tried to back-translate it through Google it came up with "I love you brother. You are very special to me." I don't have a problem with this, I'd just like to know the actual meaning and your reasoning for your choice in translation.

In your opinion should I use the romanization or the Gujarati script? Writing in a foreign script is normal for me, and I want the line to stand out from the rest of the letter, but I'd rather stick to what's most common rather than my personal aesthetic sense. Also, I noticed that you didn't use punctuation in the Gujarati script. Does punctuation make a big difference in Gujarati? It looks nice without it.

Someone thought I should change it to "friend" instead of "brother" in case he didn't want to be bro-zoned. I also asked random people on Quora. These are their responses. If you could, I'd like your thoughts on them. Also, just as I noticed your lack of punctuation with Gujarati writing, I noticed they used a mix of capitalization. What are the capitalization standards for romanizing Gujarati? Is there a reason why they would capitalize words not at the beginning of a sentence?

--------------------

Version 2 - From Quora:
    I love you friend. Thanks for being in my life.

--------------------

Answer 1:
    “Thank you dost, Mari life ma rehva mate”

I deliberately do not replace “Thank you” and “Life” with Gujarati words because then it would sound too formal.

Well, if you still want to replace those words then, you can replace “Thank you” with “Aabhar” and “Life” with “Jivan”, but again, it would make it more formal.

My Googled Gujarati Script:
    Thank you (આભાર) દોસ્ત
    મારી life (જીવન) માં રહેવા માટે

Possible literal translation: Thank you friend, for being in my life.

Personal thoughts: He dropped the "I love you" part. Good feedback about the formality, though. I'm not sure if I could mix English words and Gujarati script and make it look nice. I think I would leave his version romanized.

--------------------

Answer 2:
    Maara Priy Mitr, Maara jivan ma rehwa maate taaro khub aabhar.

મારા પ્રિય મિત્ર
    મારા જીવન માં રહેવા માટે તારો ખુબ આભાર

Possible literal translation: My dear friend, thank you so much for being in my life.

Personal thoughts: The wording of this one sticks more closely to my original request, though he changes "I love you" to "my dear." I don't understand his choices in capitalization.

--------------------

Answer 3:
    Hu tane chahu chu mara mitra, dhanyawaad taro mara jeevan ma ava badal.

હું તને ચાહું છું મારા મિત્ર
    ધન્યવાદ તારો મારા જીવન માં આવા બાદલ

Possible literal translation: I love you my friend, (no idea!)

Personal thoughts: I can't figure out what he changed the sentence to mean. The beginning seems close to what I originally asked.

--------------------

I'm probably putting way too much thought into this, but I'd like to know exactly what I'm writing.

Maharaj

Bundeli, Hindi, Urdu, Marathi
    Yeah you're right with your back translation.
    Just write it in Gujarati script to get that standing out feel.
    There's not much scope for punctuation here. Don't overthink. The other messages you mentioned are also nice but are weird as well. Actually saying I love you in whichever script to a friend is a bit strange in Indian context in the first place, but then again don't overthink.
    Go ahead. :)