Gujarati: oongi geyo hto

Dean Turpin

English
Hi,

I've always used "oongi geyo hto" for "has gone to sleep" without really thinking about what it means.

But it's just occured to me: is it actually "sleepy gone has"? (I.e., the adjective is made by adding an 'ee' sound, just like in English.)

Cheers,
Dean

• Illuminatus

USA
    India, Hindi, English, Marathi
    I don't know a lot of Gujarati, but I can draw parallels to Hindi..

Oonghna in Hindi is to snooze. So, Oongi gayo tho ~ oonghne gaya tha - Had gone for a sleep. Literally, 'For Sleeping' gone had

Illuminatus

USA
    It's not actually snoozing.

When you are sleepy, but are trying to keep yourself awake, your frequently keep falling asleep, your head bobs down, and you wake up again. That is more like oonghna.

lcfatima

English USA
    Illuminatus, I want to make sure I can use this verb correctly. Would you kindly provide me a couple of example sentences so that I can contextualize the meaning. I don't think we have an exact word for this in English.

Illuminatus

USA
    <raat ke 3 baje jab mai.n apni building pahuncha to pahredaar (watchman) apni kursi par baitha baitha oongh raha tha>

<aapka laRka class mei.n baitha baitha oonghta rehta hai. Ise kahiye ki padhai par dhyaan de>

Also, <jhapki> = nap. <jhapki lena> = take a nap.

BP.

Urdu
    I'd like to differ. uu.ngna doesn't mean being tired. Ir refers to being so sleepy that you oscillate into and out of sleep while trying to stay awake.

I'm curious for its translation into English and French.

bakshink

punjabi
    How about "drowse"?
    drowse:
    (past and past participle drowsed, present participle drows·ing, 3rd person present singular drows·es)
    intransitive verb
    be half asleep: to be in a state partway between sleeping and waking.
    Source: Encarta dictionary

I think snooze or doze or feeling sleepy can also express the state of onghna though in Gujrati oonghna may actually be meaning more than what oonghna stands for in Hindi.

Last edited: