Gujarati: Please do not be sad. Remember I love you always.

• linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    દુખી ના થઈ જા, યાદ રાખજે કે હું તને હમેશા માટે પ્રેમ કરું છું
    (dukhii naa thaee jaa, yaad raakhje ke huN tane hameshaa maate prem karun ChuN)

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    The Hindi equivalent of "maate" would be "ke liye" (for, in order to)
    Examples:

enaa maate (એના માટે) (uske liye - for that/for him)
    meN enii maate gaNu badhu vastu karyuN hatu (મેં એની માટે ઘણુ બધુ વસ્તુ કર્યું હતુ) = (maine uske liye bahut kuCh kiye the = I did a lot of things for her (enii is feminine)

panjabigator

Am. English
    So is /maate/ feminine or masculine? I.E. /enii maate/ or /enaa maate/ In Hindi, the postposition /liye/ takes the masculine plural possessive /ke/.

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    I don't think "maate" itself is declinable. It's a bit strange actually, because "enaa maate" sounds fine and so does "enii maate", but "enu maate" which would be neuter does not sound right.

If you just remember this, that "enaa maate" means "for that/for him" and is used for masculine nouns, and "enii maate" means "for her" and feminine nouns, you should be ok :s.

Also, if it used to mean "in order to", then there will only be a verb ending in "-vaa" before "maate", and no "-nii/-naa". Examples:

karvaa maate = (in order) to do
    lakhvaa maate = (in order) to write
    ley javaa maate = (in order) to take away

panjabigator

Am. English
    Those last three resemble Panjabi in that no /daa/ or /dii/ is required with the postposition /laii/ (Hindi /liye/).

/karan laii/
    /likhaN laii/
    /lai jaaN laii/

Could you give me some Hindi and Gujarati sentences showing how the masculine and feminine can both be expressed with /ke liye/?