Gujarati: Sapno na vavetar

panjabigator

Am. English
Do you have any idea what vavetar means here? I recognize sapno to mean dream here, but I don't know what to make of vavetar.

Also, is there a difference in saying sapno and swapna? Is there a third Bharuchi hapna as well;)?

• linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    I don't know about "vavetar" (Devanagari: ववेतर) but we do we have the word વવળાટ (vavRaat) which seems to make sense here. It means "restlessness" or "rolling about restlessly".

About swapna:
    There is actually no such word as "sapno" in Gujarati (although people - including myself - would still use it). If you try googling it, you will find only Urdu/Hindi results (Urdu/Hindi written in Gujarati script - this is common). The proper word for "dream" is સ્વપ્ન (swapna). We also have સપનું (sapnu.n) which also means dream, but more in the sense of "vision". And no - we don't say "hapna"! It doesn't work with all words :p

To be honest, the whole thing (Sapno na vavetar) doesn't sound very Gujarati to me for some reason. Firstly, the endings sound a bit strange (we would say Sapna no rather than Sapno na) and also because of "vavetar".

tu aa kyaaN thii laavyo?

panjabigator

Am. English
    Huun tame bolis kyaan thii laavyo. It is the title of a Gujarati show that comes on Zee TV or TV Asia, one of those two. I'm certain of the title though. Thanks for the khabar.

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Huun tame bolis kyaan thii laavyo. It is the title of a Gujarati show that comes on Zee TV or TV Asia, one of those two. I'm certain of the title though. Thanks for the khabar.
    Hmm.. I'm not sure then. I'll ask my parents!
    We used to have Zee Gujarati but it got cut off or something :D

Oh by the way:
    Huun tame bolis kyaan thii laavyo
    is wrong.

First of all - "tame". Now, did you mean to use the polite "you"? If so, you should have said "tamane" (તમને). But anyway, you should have used the informal "you", since you're talking to me :D. (Informal "you", as you know, is tuN (તું)) Here you should have said "tane".)
    "tamane" is to "tame", as "tane" is to "tuN" ;)

Also, you used the wrong verb (boliish). To put it simply, you don't say in Hindi "maiN tumko bolungaa", but "maiN tumko kahungaa". In the same way, we say "huN tane kahesh", not "huN tane boliish". ("kahesh" comes from કહેવું (kahevuN))

The correct sentence is: huN tane kahesh huN kyaaN thii laavyo

panjabigator

Am. English
    Hmm.. I'm not sure then. I'll ask my parents!
    We used to have Zee Gujarati but it got cut off or something :D

Oh by the way:
    is wrong.

First of all - "tame". Now, did you mean to use the polite "you"? If so, you should have said "tamane" (તમને). But anyway, you should have used the informal "you", since you're talking to me :D. (Informal "you", as you know, is tuN (તું)) Here you should have said "tane".)
    "tamane" is to "tame", as "tane" is to "tuN" ;)

Also, you used the wrong verb (boliish). To put it simply, you don't say in Hindi "maiN tumko bolungaa", but "maiN tumko kahungaa". In the same way, we say "huN tane kahesh", not "huN tane boliish". ("kahesh" comes from કહેવું (kahevuN))

The correct sentence is: huN tane kahesh huN kyaaN thii laavyo

I couldn't remember tane at the time...tame was all I had! I forgot that tame is aap! And I didn't know kehna in Guju so I formed an inconceivably dispicable sentence that I would point and laugh at in Hindi! Thanks for the pointers! Huun yaad rakhis!

doom9

USA
    United States (birth country)/India (English, Gujarati)
    Do you have any idea what vavetar means here? I recognize sapno to mean dream here, but I don't know what to make of vavetar.

Also, is there a difference in saying sapno and swapna? Is there a third Bharuchi hapna as well;)?

વાવેતર means cultivation and Sapna Na Vavetar means the cultivation of dreams or the growing of the dreams.