Gujarati: Why are you so eager to get in?

kamal_khinda

Canada, Punjabi and English
Hello All,

So here's the deal, My cousin is getting married to a Gujarati man, and we are a Punjabi family. So what we want to do is when the groom comes to the home and is supposed to cut the ribbon and what not we want to talk to him in Gujarati. Hopefully someone can translate.

Here are the phrases

1) Uh Oh....Anish why are you so eager to get in?

2) Not to , To get in the 7 of us require a little something?

3) What happened? Why are you shocked? We speak a little bit of Gujarati too....

4) Ummm I think 7000 dollars will be good enough.

I know this is a lot to ask but if someone can translate it will help big time.
Thank You to whoever becomes my hero!

• linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Hi. I can translate them for you, but I don't think I understand what you mean by the second sentence (what's "not to"?). You'll have to confirm it for me. Here are the others (in translit, 'cause I doubt you can read Gujarati):

1) arey.. anish, tane andar aavaani kem bo utaavar Che?

2) ?

3) Shu thayu? kem bo shock thay gayo? ame paN thodu gujraati bolye Che...

4) Mmm.. mane laage ke saat-hazaar dollar theek Che

Note: "th" sound is pronounced as an aspirated 't', not like "thing". The capital N is a nasalised sound (say the letter 'r' and really nasalise it). The "Ch" is an aspirated sound, like in 'chocolate'.

Another thing, I'm not sure how to say "to be shocked" in Gujarati, so I just anglicised that bit! (like we always do anyway). Maybe someone else can figure out the more Gujarati way of saying it.

And another question - I've used the informal version of "you". Is this how you would speak to him? Or would you speak to him with respect and hence use the formal version of you ?

kamal_khinda

Hey Linguist786,

Thank you so much for helping out. I'm sorry i didn't type in the phrase for number 2 properly.

Its actually supposed to be.

2) Not to fast, to get in the 7 of us (mean us girls) require a little something

Hopefully that can help you help me lol...

And once again thank you sooo much....your really making it easy on us.

kamal_khinda

We're not after the 7000 dollars....this is all just a part of the friendy bickeing that goes on before the groom gets to take the bride home. I can't believe your making this about women's issues that are far more serious.

If you do not wish to help that is fine....please don't judge me based on the traditions of my culture and what not. I'm only following tradition and only wanted to learn some gujarati phrases in order to surprise and make our future brother-in-law welcome and accepted....

Your totally twisting the meaning of what i mean by getting these phrases translated...however like a said before thank you for making me feel like crap about my traditions

kamal_khinda

No i'm sorry...i do not wish to carry on this conversation with you any further....i'm looking for help and if someone is willing to give it to me that is fine but if someone wants to berate me...my tradtions and my culture i'm not up for that....

You need to let go of this need to be right and to show other people up and just let things be.... i'm sorry but i am in no way interested in talking to you any further..

I'm sorry if you feel that i am being rude but thats just the way it is.

Thanks

panjabigator

Am. English
    Badgrammar, I understand what you must be thinking. These phrases look suspect if one is unfamiliar with the customs (Panjabi: /rasam/) behind Indian weddings. I'll try and explain things.

The way I understand it, the grooms side has a procession (Panjabi: /baraat/) that dances all the way to the actual wedding location, where the girl's side is waiting. The brides girl friends, sisters, and girl cousins then form a line preventing the groom from entering. They ask for a bribe of money to get in, and as it is a tradition, the groom comes prepared. It's done in fun and jest, nothing serious. After a bit of haggling, the groom breaks through. These women, ever sneaky as anything, try to get even more money out of the groom by stealing his shoes (weddings, as many Indian events tend to be, are barefoot activities). The groom and his friends anticipate this, and usually do a good job of hiding them. If the girls find it, the groom has got a pretty high price to pay!

Kamal, no need at all to berate anyone, as I said in my posts above, perhaps I did not understand your request, that I judged too soon, too harshly... I am sure this is not the place to discuss women's rights, although it is a huge issue in India.

Now Panj has explained it and put it in context - that this is part of a tradition, a game, part of the ceremony... you did not do so very clearly in your previous posts. I have absolutely no need to be right or show anybody anything. I am on this forum to learn, and to help others. You needn't take such offence.

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Hi again, I read through the whole thread just now and realised there was some kind of .. debate going on. Panjabigator explained it well. Just to add to it, it's a custom you see here in the Uk as well. When the groom is finally taking his bride home in the car, the brother of the bride stops the car from leaving by standing in front of it and asking for a bribe. It's more of a cultural thing (Indian), definitely not a religious thing. Muslims here do it too, but personally I wouldn't do it because it's got nothing to do with Islam (even though I've got four older sisters and could get a lot of money!!).

Anyway, I'm more interested in the linguistic side of the thread.
    Kamal, the second sentence would be:

2) bo jaldi nahiiN! - amay saat (chokriyo) ne hataarvaa maate tamane kashu devu to parshe j.
    (the "nahiiN" in Gujarati doesn't really sound like the Hindi "nahiiN", it's more like "naee"). And the bit in brackets means "girls" which you can omit if you want but I suggest leaving it in.

About the formal/informal use of "you" - I think in this case, the polite form will sound better. (Even though it's a bit of a joke on your brother in law, I feel there still should be some "vouvoiement" going on). So I will change the other three sentences to:

1) arey.. anishbhai, tamane andar aavaani kem bo utaavar Che?

3) Shu thayu? kem bo shock thay gayaa? ame paN thodu gujraati bolye Che...

4) Mmm.. mane laage ke saat-hazaar dollar theek Che.

Just so you know exactly how to pronounce the whole sentence (sentence 2), here's me saying it! (lol :p) (Sorry it's a bit fast but otherwise the file would get too large for me to post). If you want me to say the other ones, tell me (but I will have to do it one by one because the forum doesn't allow a very big sound file)

Attachments

• gujji1.WAV
      183.1 KB · Views: 58