guru, tycoon, magnate, lord, baron

Daffodil100

Chinese
Guru, tycoon, magnate, lord, baron, all these words, refer to a very powerful person.

Here are my assumption of the usage of these words.
  • Guru generally refers to a leader in an outfit, i.e. the forum guru, a gym guru.
  • Tycoon and magnate are only related to business or finance, a media tycoon Murdock; Oil magnate
  • Lord and baron are always link to drug, such as drug lord/baron.
Am I correct?

Thank you!

• Tazzler

American English
    "Guru" is not a powerful person per se; it's just a very knowledgeable person (an expert).

"Baron" isn't normally used in this sense nowadays in my opinion. Many business tycoons of the 19th century were called "robber barons". The same goes for "lord" (except for the common phrase "drug lord", which you mentioned"). "Tycoon" and "magnate" (as well as the word "mogul") all mean the same to me.

Daffodil100

Chinese
    The same goes for "lord" (except for the common phrase "drug lord", which you mentioned").
    Thank you for the help, Tazzler. I missed out "mogul", which I was going to ask.

Do you mean people also called businessperson "business lord", or "lord" is not as common as baron now?:confused:

Tazzler

American English
    I wouldn't say "business baron/lord" but the other terms (except for "guru", which I explained separately) are fair game.

< Previous | Next >