gym bag

< Previous | Next >

susanna76

Romanian
Which one is known as a "gym bag" in the US? The duffel bag, or the holdall? Wikipedia gives "gym bag" for both, which is confusing. Well, but then I realize they both could carry gym equipment. I just want to know for sure how it's used, if it pinpoints one of these or is a more general term.

• sdgraham

USA English
    In the U.S., a "gym bag" is a small bag (see HERE) of a size to carry essentials to a gymnasium (gym) Gym bags are usually brightly colored and can carry advertising logos on the outside as well.

The duffel bag originally was U.S. Army and ws a large, cylindrical bag used to carry everything a soldier might need on deployment. (In the U.S. Navy and Marines, it's called a "sea bag.") The original design has been modified (see here for example) and now generally applies to any "bag" (as opposed to a rigid framed suitcase) of rather large capacity.

Some people, however, refer to all bags as "duffel bags" and thus, the confusion.

susanna76

Romanian
    Hi sdgraham, thanks so much!

I followed the link for gym bags and those are what in British English is called holdalls. Is the term "holdall" used in the US?

paulrebuck303

English-Australia
    In my opinion, and these times of modern usage, the term 'duffel bag' is predominantly used. The large, sometimes square, cylindrical or triangular bags are the new age versions of carrying moderately compact items in a jiffy.

<<--comment removed-->>

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >