Gym classes

Suhairraah

Urdu
Caitlin: Hi Chandler!
Chandler: Hey Caitlin! Somebody got a haircut.
Caitlin: Ugh, I hate it! I look like an 8-year-old boy.
Chandler: Yeah, if that was true, gym class would've been a lot more interesting.

In this context, Chandler is flirting with a pizza delivery girl. What I don't get is that why he mentioned gym class being interesting.
Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Egmont

English - U.S.
    People wear very little clothing in gym class. If 8-year-old boys (such as those in his gym class when he was that age) looked like this young woman, whom I assume is at least old enough to have a driver's license, he would have enjoyed looking at them. He would have found the class more interesting for that reason.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I don't think "wear very little clothing" is implied. Boys and girls both wear the same in gym class: shorts and a T-shirt. The presence of an almost-adult female in a children's gym class is enough to make it "very interesting" in Chandler's (adult, flirting) mind.

In other words, he is saying "No, you don't look like an 8-year-old boy. You look much more feminine and attractive".

But he does not say that. The script on this show tries to make every sentence unusual, funny, and interesting.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    You appear to know the answer to my question (#2)....
    Sorry. I assume it's an episode of the TV series "Friends". The male name "Chandler" is uncommon. Having pizza delivered, and flirting (innocently) with the delivery girl, fit the personality of the character "Chandler" on Friends.

And this week I saw a video by polyglot Luca Lamperello, where he talks about people learning English by watching "Friends".

Suhairraah

Urdu
    I don't think "wear very little clothing" is implied. Boys and girls both wear the same in gym class: shorts and a T-shirt. The presence of an almost-adult female in a children's gym class is enough to make it "very interesting" in Chandler's (adult, flirting) mind.

In other words, he is saying "No, you don't look like an 8-year-old boy. You look much more feminine and attractive".

But he does not say that. The script on this show tries to make every sentence unusual, funny, and interesting.
    I totally get it now. Thank you so much. :)

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I assume it's an episode of the TV series "Friends". The male name "Chandler" is uncommon. Having pizza delivered, and flirting (innocently) with the delivery girl, fit the personality of the character "Chandler" on Friends.
    Ah. Never watched it.

< Previous | Next >