Gym [was filling up/ was starting to fill up] = how crowded?

< Previous | Next >

wanabee

Japanese
Dear all,

1. The school gym was filled up with parents who came to watch their children perform in the play.
2. The school gym was filling up with parents who came to watch their children perform in the play.
3. The school gym was starting to fill up with parents who came to watch their children perform in the play.

I made those up. No.1 seems to suggest that the gym was already packed to its capacity.
Could you tell me your impressions about how crowded the gym was in No.2 and No.3 at the time the scene was described?

• wanabee

Japanese
    Thank you very much, Ann!
    1. The school gym was filled up with parents who came to watch their children perform in the play. 98%-100% full
    2. The school gym was filling up with parents who came to watch their children perform in the play. 20%-70% full
    3. The school gym was starting to fill up with parents who came to watch their children perform in the play. 1%-20% full
    How crowded would you feel the gym was in each situation?
    I've made a wild guess myself and put figures next to each sentence. Please take a look and give some comments on them.
    (On a related note, "up" in "filled up" seems to be used for emphasis in No.1, but it doesn't necessarily seem so with No.2 and No.3. I'm at a loss.)

< Previous | Next >