haber denunciádole

cbmthorpe

English - England
"Las actitudes comenzaron a cambiar en 1997, cuando Ana Orantes murió a manos de su propio marido, dos semanas después de haber denunciádole por primera vez públicamente por sus 40 años de maltrato".

Hello! I'm writing an essay about women and their rights and I was wondering if this sentence made sense? I think the "haber denunciado" bit doesn't make that much sense, but if anybody could help me i would really appreciate it - thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Aviador

Castellano de Chile
    Denunciádole (with an accent because it is a proparoxytone word) is an archaic form of aggregating enclitic pronouns to a verb. In contemporary Spanish it is not normal to attach the direct/indirect object pronoun to the verb, instead, it goes before the verb and separate or attached to the auxiliary verb, like in this case: después de haberle denunciado por primera vez.
    Nevertheless, I would have not committed the "leísmo" of representing the direct object by the dative le instead of the accusative lo as it should be: después de haberlo denunciado por primera vez.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >