hablar castellano y hablar en catalan.

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by everylittlehelps, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. everylittlehelps

everylittlehelps Member

Belfast
    English-Ireland
    hablar castellano y hablar en catalan.

Are these both the same language? I am confused because i thought they were both the same language then i read an article which seems to imply that they are different.

Can anyone help me out?

2. Agró

Agró Senior Member

Alta Navarra
    Spanish-Navarre
    Different languages, both derived from Latin, as French, Italian and many more.

3. CorazonTapatio Senior Member

Guadalajara, Mexico
    English-USA
    My understanding is that Castilian is the Spanish spoken in Spain and that Catalan is a mix of French and Spanish. I have a book in the Catalan language but while I speak Spanish fluently, I can only understand bits and pieces of the text in Catalan.

4. gengo

gengo Senior Member

Catalan is most certainly spoken in Spain, by a great many people. Castilian is what we call "Spanish" in English, but that is something of a misnomer, as the people in Catalunia would be quick to point out.

5. ACQM

ACQM Senior Member

Manresa (Barcelona)
    Spain - Spanish
    Castellano=español=Spanish (no se refiere a un dialecto de España ni nda de eso, es otra palabra para decir español usada en España y en otros países como Argentina, por ejemplo)
    Catalan is another language coming from latin it is spoken in some regions of Spain and France.

6. ACQM

ACQM Senior Member

Manresa (Barcelona)
    Spain - Spanish
    Castellano is not Spanish from Castilla, but Spanish in general.

Catalan is not a mix coming from French and Spanish, is a latin language coming from latin and "created" at the same time as Spanish, French, Italian, etc. as an evolution of latin.

7. Karma Police Senior Member

Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    Spanish - Spain
  8. animula Senior Member

Vienna
    Basque Country,Spanish, Spain
    Spanish is spoken in Central America and most of South American countries and in Spain. To the las one we sometimes refer to as "castellano", because it started in "castilla". Now spanish is not the only language spoken in Spain: (in the Basque country they speak "euskera" which has nothing to do with spanish) "Catalán" is spoken in Cataluna, "gallego" in Galicia and in Valencia they speak "valenciano" (which some people say it's a dialect of "catalan"). All these have some similarities with spanish and we can understand part of a conversation in that language. But the same happens if we hear italian or portugese. :)

9. CorazonTapatio Senior Member

Guadalajara, Mexico
    English-USA
    Whoops! I didn't mean to say that Catalan is NOT spoken in Spain, just that it is not the same as Spanish. My husband's family in Mexico say they speak "Castilian Spanish" even though they are not from Spain. They are trying to make a claim to speaking "correct Spanish" that "comes from Spain" even though the vocabulary they use is different than what is used in Spain. That is the only knowledge I have on the topic. Sorry if I confused or misguided anyone. :)

10. ILT

ILT Senior Member

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    Since this is not a thread about the translation of a term or phrase, it is now closed.

ILT/Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.