1. Aldo Berrios

    Aldo Berrios Member

    Chile Spanish
    Hola todos
    ¿Cómo puedo decir "voy a hacer unos trámites", en inglés?
    Por contexto, la idea es por ejemplo, obtener un certificado del registro civil o burocracia en general.
  2. Henrik Larsson Banned

    Creo q "to process"
  3. Mirtha New Member

    Peru, Spanish
    Yo diría: "to make some procedures"
  4. Eugin

    Eugin Senior Member

    Buenos Aires
    Argentina (Spanish)
    a mí me gusta más utilizar la palabra proceedings o formalities...
    pero tengo mis dudas acerca de qué verbo usar... si conviene más "to do", "to make", "to carry out", "to deal with"...

    Calculo que nos lo tendrá que decir un angloparlante....
  5. Aldo Berrios

    Aldo Berrios Member

    Chile Spanish
    Gracias por la ayuda
    Me refiero más bien a "hacer el papeleo." Por lo mismo tendría que ser un término más coloquial que formalities o procedures.
    Una amiga inglesa propone "red tape," pero eso es como papeleo.
    Otra amiga me dice "run errands," pero creo que es para hacer trámites para otra persona, no para uno mismo.
    El contexto es:
    Juan le dice a su señora: "Marcela, dile a tu mamá que hoy tengo que "hacer unos trámites" en el centro y no podré pasarla a buscar."
  6. Eugin

    Eugin Senior Member

    Buenos Aires
    Argentina (Spanish)
    Bueno, Aldo, en el diccionario de WordReference aparece "red tape" como papeleo...
    y lo busqué en mi Oxford y efectivamente sale así: "trámites burocráticos" o papeleo...

    Viste?? ya lo tenías!!!
  7. bluejazzshark Senior Member

    English, England
    yes, it's difficult to translate...

    I would say:

    "It's about time I sorted out this bureaucratic nonsense" :)

    I think more generally, people might say:

    "I'm going to sort out this paperwork"

    "deal with" is a very good alternative phrasal verb in this context. The problem with the word "paperwork" (papeleo) is that it could refer to work that you take home. As I understand it, "tramites" refers mainly to civil documents (licences, cerfificates, identification ...etc.). I suppose you could say "I'm going to deal with these civil documents" if you want...

    Normally though, we'd be specific: "I'm going to fill in this license application". "I'm going to deal with the council tax demand."

    Hope that helps,

    - Blue
  8. cubaMania Senior Member

    Marcela, tell your mother that today I have to take care of some paperwork in the city (o downtown) so I won't be able to come by to see her.
  9. Aldo Berrios

    Aldo Berrios Member

    Chile Spanish
    Gracias por la ayuda
    Ahora tengo una batería de soluciones para expresar esto.
    Especialmente me parece interesante el hecho de que hay un vacio idiomático, pues se tendría que expresar por medios más específicos (Bluejazzshark).
    De todas formas creo que las opciones son útiles.
  10. unpoetaloco

    unpoetaloco Member

    Norman, OK
    English, USA
    Yo diría, "I'm going to fill out the paperwork," or "take the steps" or even "undertake the process". Todo, desde luego, depende del contexto. Nunca es posible -- o aconsejable -- traducir un trozo sin saber la oración entera.
  11. soofiita Member

    hola a todos,, yo quisiera saber como utilizar tramites en un sentido mas general por ej.. "yo era la encargada de hacer todos los tramites" .. en un contexto donde explico mis funciones laborales!
  12. Everblack New Member

    Buenos Aires
    Belgium - Dutch
    Hi all. I think an informal way of translating "hacer tramites" might be a simple 'I am running through some (formal/administrative) procedures'. The phrasal verb 'to run through' is often used for this purpose.

  13. Cuquilu Member

    English-USA, Spanish-Spain/Cuba/Mexico
    I realize this is late, but I was checking the site. After seeing the post, I think that this was a specific case. However, in general, if there is no indication of what the "tramites" is, it could involve interview, as well as paperwork, or taking a test, etc., I would say, I have to take care of --- whatever it was: the paperwork, the requirements, the test, etc. I was looking for an interpretation for: Hize todos los tramites. I translated it as, I fulfilled all that was required.
  14. MeganB New Member

    English - USA
    This is a late reply, but I've struggled with this through the years. There isn't a perfect translation for "tramites" in English, because it depends on the context. I would define "tramites" as "bureaucratic errands or procedures", but I would never actually use that in a sentence. In your example sentence, I would say: "Marcela, tell your mom that I have some important errands to run downtown today, so I won't be able to drop by." Other options could be saying you have to "deal with some red tape" or describing in more detail what exactly it is that you have to do. In your example sentence, I might actually even tell a white lie and say I have "appointments", rather than "important errands", because "appointments" really gives the impression that it's something pre-arranged that can't be moved to another day, and thus a good excuse for not being available.

    "Errands" doesn't indicate whether one is completing the actions for oneself or for another, but it does imply less urgency or importance (less bureaucracy) than "tramites". Which is why I added "important". "Errands" are things like going grocery shopping and picking up the dry cleaning. They're not fun, but they're not soul crushing like "tramites".
  15. gato radioso Senior Member

    As far as I know:

    Recados/encargos = Errands (going to the supermarket, the post office, getting your hair cut...)
    Tramites = Administrative procedures in general. Neutral meaning.
    Hacer trámites = To apply for a administrative procedure you're entitled/interested in
    Tramitar = To impulse the procedure. It's what civil servants and clerks do. It's their bureaucratic job, mostly administrative, not taking -generally speaking- the ultimate decision on the subject.
    Papeleo = Bureaucratic procedures, having this word a colloquial and rather negative meaning. That's how you'd call it if you need to apply something, but you feel a bit bored of it.

    In many cases, I think "apply"= solicitar/pedir can convey the idea of hacer trámites.
    If the only thing you get is information but you don't really apply anything, I do know..... What about: "To make some enquiries"?
    Ex: "He estado haciendo trámites para enterarme como se hace una boda civil" (I've made some enquiries ?? to find out....)
    "He solicitado/presentado la solicitud para matrimonio..." (I've actually filled in an application at Registro Civil)

    But I guess we don't have any form that fits perfectly.
    Last edited: May 31, 2017

Share This Page