had a more adverse fate

< Previous | Next >

brainstorming

Portugal, Portuguese
Hi everyone,

Can I use "a more" between "had ... adverse fate"?

The year 1534 saw the creation of the diocese of São Tomé, with jurisdiction over the four islands of the Gulf of Guinea (including the islands of Príncipe, Ano Bom and Fernando Pó), over Saint Helena, and over Africa, stretching from Cape Palmas to Congo. Within this context, São Tomé was elevated to city in 1535.Of a more modest nature, the city of Santo António, created in 1502 in the neighbouring Príncipe Island, had a more adverse fate, stagnating for centuries as a micro-town.

Thanks in advance

• ewie

English English
    Hi Brains. I'd tend to use suffer and worse with fate ~ the words sort of automatically slot together:
    Santo António suffered a far worse fate.

Other wordings are available but that's the first that instantly sprang to my mind:)

MilkyBarKid

British English
    a far worse fate.

As I read the sentence, the dreadful fate of São Tomé was to be elevated to being a city; so the 'far worse' fate was that Santo António remained a town? :)

I thought at least it was going to read that it was burned to the ground after some plundering and pillaging.

MilkyBarKid

British English
    Yes, that was the idea, MilkyBarKid.
    Grammar is important; but it won't disguise faulty logic:

'worse' is a comparative adverb. So - it was a bad thing that "São Tomé was elevated to city"??? And therefore, 'worse' for Santo António to remain a town??

brainstorming

Portugal, Portuguese
    Grammar is important; but it won't disguise faulty logic:

'worse' is a comparative adverb. So - it was a bad thing that "São Tomé was elevated to city"??? And therefore, 'worse' for Santo António to remain a town??
    The thing is that the original sentence (in Portuguese) and the context already sound weird. That's not my fault.:(

< Previous | Next >