..had been holding us back until we have finally discovered the “magic” formula and therefore decided ...

willkanoff

Russian
Hi all,
Please let me know if the grammar in the following sentences is correct:

Here we found the solution to the problem of a short shelve life that was intrinsic to the original old drink and had been holding us back until we have finally discovered the “magic” formula and therefore decided to call it London Brew because it happened in London.

or

Here we found the solution to the problem of a short shelve life that was intrinsic to the original old drink. It had been holding us back until we have finally discovered the “magic” formula and therefore decided to call it Brussels Kvas because it happened in Brussels.

Any constructive criticism would also be highly appreciated! :)

Last edited:
  • Rigardo Lee

I wouldn't say like this myself. Shoehorning every detail into one sentence doesn't contribute anything of value, unless you're trying to come across as pretentious, or look far from an understanding sort of writer.

Last edited:

willkanoff

Russian
    Lumping all those details in one sentence would not be a good idea.
    Thanks. I felt that too. Going to try to split it somewhere in the middle ;-)
    How about this:

Here we found the solution to the problem of a short shelve life that was intrinsic to the original old drink.
    It had been holding us back until we have finally discovered the “magic” formula and therefore decided to call it Brussels Kvas because it happened in Brussels.

Could you tell me if the tenses I used are correct?

Last edited:

Rigardo Lee

Thanks. I felt that too. Going to try to split it somewhere in the middle ;-)
    How about this:

Here we found the solution to the problem of a short shelve life that was intrinsic to the original old drink.
    It had been holding us back until we have finally discovered the “magic” formula and therefore decided to call it Brussels Kvas because it happened in Brussels.
    It's okay, both the split and tenses, at least for me. :)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)

The present perfect doesn't work in this sentence, because you are referring to a point in time that already belongs to the past.

I won't be happy until we discover/have discovered a magic formula.
    I wasn't happy until we discovered a magic formula.

You can use a present perfect verb after "until" only if there is future meaning.

Last edited:

willkanoff

Russian

The present perfect doesn't work in this sentence, because you are referring to a point in time that already belongs to the past.

I won't be happy until we discover/have discovered a magic formula.
    I wasn't happy until we discovered a magic formula.

You can use a present perfect verb after "until" only if there is future meaning.
    Thanks! I will correct it. But I thought the present perfect is okay because the formula "remains discovered" to this day...

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    We have discovered a magic formula.
    We were having problems, but now we have discovered a magic formula.
    We were having problems until we discovered a magic formula.
    The problem of a short shelf-life had been holding us back - until we discovered a magic formula.

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    The problem of a short shelf-life had been holding us back - until we discovered a magic formula.
    :thumbsup:

willkanoff

Russian
    I am going to frame it and hang in on the wall ! Thanks ;)

< Previous | Next >