had better - would rather

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

CORALINNA

Portuguese - Brasil
What´s the difference between these 2 sentences?

1) "You had better get some sleep."
2) "You would rather get some sleep."

• Momerath

British English
    "you had better get some sleep" means "you ought to get some sleep" (because you are tired).
    "You would rather get some sleep" means that you would prefer getting some sleep to staying awake (given the choice).

They're completely different idioms. Could you explain why you confuse them?

CORALINNA

Portuguese - Brasil
    Ok now I got the idea. It´s just that I normally see "I´d rather" and not "You´d rather", so it sounded kind of weird to me to affirm that someone prefers something. But with your explanation I understood the difference.
    Thank you!

Prower

Banned
    Russian
    "You would rather get some sleep" means that you would prefer getting some sleep to staying awake (given the choice).

They're completely different idioms. Could you explain why you confuse them?
    What I also find hard to understand is how the choice can be made for someone else by another person. The only way I can understand it is that the speaker thinks that it would be a good choice for someone else. But it is not that the speaker makes the choice.

I think (it's my opinion), that you would rather get some sleep (than watch TV).

Am I close to the correct understanding?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >