had consisted

< Previous | Next >

monnett

Spain Spanish
Hi everybody!
Is this paragraph correct? I'm talking about the origins of Halloweens...

It seems catholic authorities had as a strategy to standardise every culture preceding with Christian meaning. Their long term plan had consisted every religious belief were mixed and at the end unified.

• monnett

Spain Spanish
    Ok. Trataba de pensarlo directamente en inglés, pero...

Al parecer, las autoridades católicas tenían como estrategia estandarizar toda cultura precedente con significado cristiano. Su plan a largo plazo consistía en que toda creencia religiosa se mezclara y al final se hiciera una.

Gracias

cubaMania

It seems Catholic authorities had as a strategy to standardise every culture preceding with Christian meaning. Their long term plan consisted in every religious belief being mixed and, in the end, unified.
    Estas son algunas sugerencias, pero no me gusta tanto esta estructura en inglés.

A ver si otros tengan algo mejor.

inib

British English
    Lo acabo de releer, y me he dado cuenta de que "preceding" tiene que colocarse delante de "culture."
    Mi intento sería: It seems that the Catholic authorities adopted the strategy of standardising any preceding cultures with a Christian meaning. Their long-term plan was that all religious beliefs should finally mix and become one.
    Sorry if I've changed it too much.

cubaMania

CONSIST goes with the preposition OF, not IN in English
    inib, dictionaries disagree with your opinion.
    For instance the American Heritage Dictionary of the English language demonstrates the use of "consist" with three prepositions, "of", "in", and "with":
    con·sist

intr.v. con·sist·ed, con·sist·ing, con·sists
    1. To be made up or composed: New York City consists of five boroughs.
    2. To have a basis; reside or lie: The beauty of the artist's style consists in its simplicity.
    3. To be compatible; accord: The information consists with her account.

cubaMania

Lo acabo de releer, y me he dado cuenta de que "preceding" tiene que colocarse delante de "culture."
    Mi intento sería: It seems that the Catholic authorities adopted the strategy of standardising any preceding cultures with a Christian meaning. Their long-term plan was that all religious beliefs should finally mix and become one.
    Sorry if I've changed it too much.
    Mucho mejor, pero todavía se puede mejorar, creo. No me suena bien en inglés "to standardize ... with a Christian meaning". ¿Quizás "to construe", "to interpret", "to reinterpret", "to imbue"?

inib

British English
    Interesting comment, and "imbue" is my favourite. But my understanding of the original text (and not history!) is that they were really trying to homogenise the different beliefs and cultures, not encourage the dominance of the Christian religion. We could get philosophical about this!

cubaMania

I'm not expert enough in Spanish to judge exactly what monnett means by "estandarizar", but if your theory is correct, then perhaps "to syncretize" would be suitable.

EDIT: or "to harmonize" or "to merge" or "to meld" or "to blend"

AntsMarching

Spanish
    An alternative, maybe to stimulate further thoughts....

It seems Catholic authorities had as a strategy to christianize every culture. Their long term plan was to unify all religious beliefs with a Christian meaning.

Perhaps "christianize" (a perfectly legitimate word) works better than "standardise," in which case, we can use "christian meaning" in the next sentence. Also, the word "preceding" may not be necessary to qualify "culture."

Pensando, avanzamos...

< Previous | Next >