Had had

Oros

Korean
A man who co-wrote the song Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini was wrongly reported as dead after the death of a man who claimed authorship. The widow of Paul Van Valkenburgh, of Ormond Beach, Florida, said he claimed to have written the song as Paul Vance.
Rose Leroux said she had had no reason to doubt her late husband's claim to fame and was "devastated".
The real Paul Vance, of Coral Springs, Florida, said the phones "don't stop with people calling thinking I'm dead".
------------------------------------------------

Is it correct to write Rose Leroux said she had had no reason to doubt ... ?

Juxtaposition of the word had is bit strange to my eyes.
It may be indirect speech. I am not sure.

Is '
Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini' the name of the song? What a long name!. This may be the case in the USA.

• Sr. Moose

Banned
    Frostbite Falls, Alces and English
    Hi Oros

Yes, it's correct to use "had had" in this sentence: "She had (auxiliary; pluperfect; 'up until that time') had (main verb; past of 'to have') no reason to . . ."

Sometimes "that that" pops up, too: "I didn't understand that that was just a joke."

Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini was written in 1960. That's back when we still had the guts to just be simple, goofy human beings. :)

timpeac

English (England)
    A man who co-wrote the song Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini was wrongly reported as dead after the death of a man who claimed authorship. The widow of Paul Van Valkenburgh, of Ormond Beach, Florida, said he claimed to have written the song as Paul Vance.
    Rose Leroux said she had had no reason to doubt her late husband's claim to fame and was "devastated".
    The real Paul Vance, of Coral Springs, Florida, said the phones "don't stop with people calling thinking I'm dead".
    ------------------------------------------------

Is it correct to write Rose Leroux said she had had no reason to doubt ... ?

Juxtaposition of the word had is bit strange to my eyes.
    It may be indirect speech. I am not sure.

Is ' Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini' the name of the song? What a long name!. This may be the case in the USA.
    Yes - it's quite normal, indirect speech as you say.

As for the title, yes it is long but it's a joke song and so I think that is part of the joke.

< Previous | Next >