had <half / halved> the risk of breast cancer than those who weighed

shorty1

Korean
Hello folks.

Source from Cnn

In a study of more than 2000 nurses, Harvard reserchers say women who weighed less than five and a half pounds at birth ha... had half the risk of breast cancer than those who weighed more than eight and a half pounds.

I think the person who dictated this news article mistook 'halved' for 'half'.

What do you think?

Thank you so much for your help. :)

Last edited:
  • lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Something's missing... It's hard to think what "the risk of breast" could be.

That being said. I think it's "the risk of breast cancer." If that were correct, then the sentence would be right with "half" - I have "half the risk" of breast cancer than you do if I happen to have weighed less at birth. I can't really be said to have "halved" my risk, because I didn't really do anything actively.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I agree with lucas. It is a statement of the proportions - those who were born light (below 5 lbs 8 ozs) had half the risk of breast cancer than those born heavy (over 8 lbs 8 ozs).

Halve is a transitive verb, and works better if you're thinking of someone taking some action to cause something else, eg 'reducing your fat intake halves​ your risk of a heart attack'.

shorty1

Korean
    Something's missing... It's hard to think what "the risk of breast" could be.

That being said. I think it's "the risk of breast cancer." If that were correct, then the sentence would be right with "half" - I have "half the risk" of breast cancer than you do if I happen to have weighed less at birth. I can't really be said to have "halved" my risk, because I didn't really do anything actively.
    Thank you so much, lucas-sp.

Yes, you're right. I made a mistake. :eek:
    breast->breast cancer.

Let me take an example from Collins Cobuild.
    "Dr Lee believes that men who exercise can halve their risk of cancer of the colon."

I think 'havled' here can make sense as well. :confused:

natkretep

Yes, but halve​ is causative. You do something to cause something else to happen. In your sentence exercising causes a reduction of bowel cancer. People can't normally do very much about their birth weight.

shorty1

Korean
    Yes, but halve​ is causative. You do something to cause something else to happen. In your sentence exercising causes a reduction of bowel cancer. People can't normally do very much about their birth weight.
    Thank you so much for double-checking it, natkretep.
    :)
    I must have gotten it the wrong way.

I get it.

shorty1

Korean
    By the way:

In a study of more than 2000 nurses, Harvard reserchers say women who weighed less than five and a half pounds at birth ha... had half less risk of getting breast cancer than those who weighed more than eight and a half pounds.

The above sentence is more apt than the original sentence?

shorty1

Korean
    And the main topic of this news article is that woman who weighed a little at birth got a bread cancer more than those who weighed much.

If so, the original sentence is on the contrary to the main topic, right?

Last edited:

natkretep

It seems unnecessary to say half less when it means the same thing as half, so it feels a little clumsy to me.

If the article mentions a woman with low birth weight yet afflicted with breast cancer, this would be a counter-example to the general tendency.

shorty1

Korean
    It seems unnecessary to say half less when it means the same thing as half, so it feels a little clumsy to me.

If the article mentions a woman with low birth weight yet afflicted with breast cancer, this would be a counter-example to the general tendency.
    Thank you so much, natkretep. :)

This has been clear.

It' supposed to be a counter-example to the general tendency.

I get it.

< Previous | Next >