had ignoring

< Previous | Next >

fatfat116

Chinese
Hello everyone. Would someone like to tell me what is the part of speech of 'ignoring' and the tense of the sentence below? Thank you very much.

In a 2003 study, researchers tested student's ability to ignore irrelevant information when exposed to many stimuli. The more creative the students were thought to be, determined by a questionnaire on past achievements, the more trouble they 'had ignoring' the unwanted data.

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Please tell us where the sentence comes from.

Had and ignoring belong to different verb phrases. The sentence uses a the more ... the more ... structure, which means that the phrases are not in the normal order.

Does it help if you think about that last clause in the normal order? 'They had more trouble ignoring the unwanted data'.

Had is the lexical verb in the past tense. Ignoring is a verb in the present participial form.

fatfat116

Chinese
    Please tell us where the sentence comes from.

Had and ignoring belong to different verb phrases. The sentence uses a the more ... the more ... structure, which means that the phrases are not in the normal order.

Does it help if you think about that last clause in the normal order? 'They had more trouble ignoring the unwanted data'.

Had is the lexical verb in the past tense. Ignoring is a verb in the present participial form.
    They had more trouble ignoring the unwanted data'.
    sorry. would you like to tell me te meaning of the sentence? I think I don't understand.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Ignoring the unwanted data was difficult. It was difficult for them to ignore it. They had difficulty ignoring it.

< Previous | Next >