Had that one back

vladv

Russian-Russia
Everybody knew he was supporting Secretary Clinton. He was afraid that if he got out and made this statement, it would just look like he was inventing something on her side. I think – in retrospect, I suspect there were a lot of people – I know there were a lot of people in the administration who wished they had that one back.

Explain please what "back" means here ? That people wished Obama backed up Clinton?

CSIS-Schieffer Series Dialogues: The Kremlin Playbook: Understanding Russian Influence | Center for Strategic and International Studies

<-----Edited by moderator (Florentia52) for readability----->

• Hercules Grytpype-Thynne

English - U.S.
    They wished they could go back in time and make their decisions all over again, with the implication that if they knew then what they know now, they would have acted differently.

Hercules Grytpype-Thynne

English - U.S.
    According to the link, President Obama. The question was whether he should have made an issue of Russian interference in the election; he didn't, but now presumably wishes he had.
    Just to be clear, the "back" in "wished they had that one back" is not the same "back" as in "Obama backed Clinton." You can say "I wish I had that one back" of any decision, whether or not it involved "backing" someone.
    Note that it was already known that Obama backed Clinton. No one was re-thinking that decision. The decision that everyone wanted back was whether or not to go public with concerns over Russian interference in the election.

vladv

Russian-Russia
    Just to be clear, the "back" in "wished they had that one back" is not the same "back" as in "Obama backed Clinton." You can say "I wish I had that one back" of any decision, whether or not it involved "backing" someone.
    Note that it was already known that Obama backed Clinton. No one was re-thinking that decision. The decision that everyone wanted back was whether or not to go public with concerns over Russian interference in the election.
    Thanks a lot for explanation !

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    According to the link, President Obama.
    Yes, I know - I was hoping to encourage the OP to give context - not just a link.

As I see it:
    "I think – in retrospect, I suspect there were a lot of people – I know there were a lot of people in the administration who wished they had Obama back."

kentix

English - U.S.
    No, these events take place during the Obama administration. HG-T sums it up well. They wish that they [as members of his team] would have used a different strategy while Obama was still in office and had him behave differently. He was trying to be helpful to Clinton but now they think he could've been more helpful by acting in a different way.

He was afraid that if he got out and made this statement, it would just look like he was inventing something on her side [so he didn't make the statement]... In retrospect...I know there were a lot of people in the (Obama) administration who wished they had that one [that decision] back.

Last edited:

vladv

Russian-Russia
    Th
    No, these events take place during the Obama administration. HG-T sums it up well. They wish that they [as members of his team] would have used a different strategy while Obama was still in office and had him behave differently. He was trying to be helpful to Clinton but now they think he could've been more helpful by acting in a different way.

He was afraid that if he got out and made this statement, it would just look like he was inventing something on her side [so he didn't make the statement]... In retrospect...I know there were a lot of people in the (Obama) administration who wished they had that one [that decision] back.
    thanks

Hercules Grytpype-Thynne

English - U.S.
    Yes, I know - I was hoping to encourage the OP to give context - not just a link.

As I see it:
    "I think – in retrospect, I suspect there were a lot of people – I know there were a lot of people in the administration who wished they had Obama back."
    So you think "that one" == "Obama"? I don't see how that can be true. They wish they had the chance back to publicize Russian interference in the election, under the assumption that doing so would have helped Clinton win.

It would be pointless to wish to have Obama back, because he's constitutionally prohibited from further presidential service.

Also, as a Brit you may not know this, but John McCain was widely criticized, particularly among the left, for pointing to Obama during one of the presidential debates in 2008 and referring to him as "that one". It was considered very disrespectful. I don't think any politically aware American of Obama's own party would refer to Obama in the same way.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    t would be pointless to wish to have Obama back, because he's constitutionally prohibited from further presidential service.
    That is the beauty of wishes - they allow the impossible. :)
    I don't think any politically aware American of Obama's own party would refer to Obama in the same way.
    Not even ironically?

Practicalities aside, Hillary seemed to put her heart and soul into being unelectable - Had it been possible for Obama to have been the Democrat candidate, the Republicans would have been reduced to a rump and Bernie Sanders supporters would have been minimal as there would have been no need for him. As it turned out, the Republicans did not win - the Democrats lost.

Hercules Grytpype-Thynne

English - U.S.
    Not even ironically?
    I'd say no. If the context specifically involved Republican attitudes towards Obama, then maybe, but this isn't that context.
    Practicalities aside, Hillary seemed to put her heart and soul into being unelectable - Had it been possible for Obama to have been the Democrat candidate, the Republicans would have been reduced to a rump and Bernie Sanders supporters would have been minimal as there would have been no need for him. As it turned out, the Republicans did not win - the Democrats lost.
    I'm not even going to get into the politics here.

< Previous | Next >